Is the Shell Broken?

Lulabee247

Location (City and/or State)
Durham
Hi all sorry to join this discussion late and probably repeat what’s been said but I’m in a panic, as in right now, I can’t take in all the conversations can you just confirm if it is normal for my 5 year old marginated tortoise to have a hinge like movement on the rear end of her plastron ? Iv been typing to so many sites and Iv been crying and I just noticed it this week I thought she was broken. ?

Lulabee247

Durham
I can’t seem to download the video on here to show you, I had a bit of a discussion on Facebook and I’m really upset by the replies I got regarding bone disease that Iv not given enough daylight, not enough calcium, and that I have to hibernate her every year. The conflicting answers I have from “this is normal” and “this is bone disease” are quite confusing without going to a vet which I probably won’t be able to get in for another week. Il try and download the video somehow so I can get more answers from you all.
** no I can’t attach the video but the picture shows the line in where it moves like a hinge along the top of the black segments of the plastron. Non of the shell is soft. I was told at 5 years old this isn’t normal. Please someone tell me what I should do as after last nights discussion I’m quite low and upset thinking Iv done this bad thing to my baby

Attachments

• C455B055-2151-4F02-A10A-35CAC48D92C1.png
    C455B055-2151-4F02-A10A-35CAC48D92C1.png
    889.3 KB · Views: 35

Lulabee247

Durham
Take a look at the info & pictures here. The “hinge-like” area on the plastron is normal.

I have read that interesting info and I see from the pictures that the part of the plastron which I’m referring to looks seperated from the rest, like as if it is hinged. And those torts look older than mine too. Have I been made to worry about nothing or should I get her checked out. I can’t seem to upload the video to show you what I mean

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have read that interesting info and I see from the pictures that the part of the plastron which I’m referring to looks seperated from the rest, like as if it is hinged. And those torts look older than mine too. Have I been made to worry about nothing or should I get her checked out. I can’t seem to upload the video to show you what I mean

Try to upload your video first to YouTube - then, once you do that, copy and paste the YT video URL “link” here in a posting.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I can’t seem to download the video on here to show you, I had a bit of a discussion on Facebook and I’m really upset by the replies I got regarding bone disease that Iv not given enough daylight, not enough calcium, and that I have to hibernate her every year. The conflicting answers I have from “this is normal” and “this is bone disease” are quite confusing without going to a vet which I probably won’t be able to get in for another week. Il try and download the video somehow so I can get more answers from you all.
** no I can’t attach the video but the picture shows the line in where it moves like a hinge along the top of the black segments of the plastron. Non of the shell is soft. I was told at 5 years old this isn’t normal. Please someone tell me what I should do as after last nights discussion I’m quite low and upset thinking Iv done this bad thing to my baby
FB is one of the worst places for the passing on of old, incorrect care information and should be avoided at all costs. You won't find any better source of information than here on TFO from people with decades of experience and some who have been involved in research and thankfully share their findings with us.
So forget other websites and social media and just use this forum - everyone here only wants what is best for our torts and is happy to help you give the best care.
This is the caresheet you need to follow
Did you look at the link Mark sent you about Marginated torts?
How does your torts plastron compare to those?

Lulabee247

Durham
FB is one of the worst places for the passing on of old, incorrect care information and should be avoided at all costs. You won't find any better source of information than here on TFO from people with decades of experience and some who have been involved in research and thankfully share their findings with us.
So forget other websites and social media and just use this forum - everyone here only wants what is best for our torts and is happy to help you give the best care.
This is the caresheet you need to follow
Did you look at the link Mark sent you about Marginated torts?
How does your torts plastron compare to those?
Hi thankyou yes I have now realised that I don’t want to go onto Facebook anymore. I only went on as it was a group local to me. The plastron looks the same as the photos to be honest but the panic has set in as Iv read that it’s normal for some torts to have a hinge on the plastron for protection. I cannot visually see any other issues with the shell at all but if more photos are needed I don’t mind if it means I get an honest answer and help with rectifying problems without slander. ?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Your tortoise's plastron looks normal to me after viewing the Youtube video and also comparing it to the plastron pictures on Chris Leone's web site.. I don't think you need to worry about it.

How about posting a couple pictures of the whole tortoise from above and the side so we can see what condition the carapace is in also?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi thankyou yes I have now realised that I don’t want to go onto Facebook anymore. I only went on as it was a group local to me. The plastron looks the same as the photos to be honest but the panic has set in as Iv read that it’s normal for some torts to have a hinge on the plastron for protection. I cannot visually see any other issues with the shell at all but if more photos are needed I don’t mind if it means I get an honest answer and help with rectifying problems without slander. ?
I can't help you except to say..."you will NOT get slandered or insulted here...we are here to help...NOT HURT!!!!!!!!!

Lulabee247

Durham
Your tortoise's plastron looks normal to me after viewing the Youtube video and also comparing it to the plastron pictures on Chris Leone's web site.. I don't think you need to worry about it.

How about posting a couple pictures of the whole tortoise from above and the side so we can see what condition the carapace is in also?
Absolutely. I will deffo do that either later tonight or tomoro. Thankyou so much. Everyone. Facebook groups are going to be cancelled they are so nasty gosh x

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The section of plastron showing in the video seems completely Normal, and it seems to be a good size in comparison to your hand. Whole-body top and side photos when you get home would be great!

There are a number of things that predispose reptiles to metabolic bone disease...give us a good description of your habitat set up (including lamps and bulb types) and what your pet's daily diet is.

Lulabee247

Durham
The section of plastron showing in the video seems completely Normal, and it seems to be a good size in comparison to your hand. Whole-body top and side photos when you get home would be great!

There are a number of things that predispose reptiles to metabolic bone disease...give us a good description of your habitat set up (including lamps and bulb types) and what your pet's daily diet is.
Set up (only temporary till I buy my first home) is a home made 2 foot by 4 foot enclosure with a greenhouse covering over the top. Lighting is uv strip light 10% but it broke so while I wait for new one the shop only had the mercury vapour all in one left. I heard these damage the eyes so it will only be for 2 days. Heat bulb is 100 watt flood. I spray with water but also have a humidifier on and off. As it’s such a small enclosure I made a flap incase she gets bored or too warm (as iv noticed she likes to go to a cooler place to sleep, she doesn’t seem to like to go to the cooler side of the enclosure as I think it may be still too warm ? ) I have watched what she does a lot and keep the area outside the enclosure clean and free of accident prone objects. She is an explorer and until I get my new home where she will have the whole of outside, this is what she has. She eats kale, romaine, lambs lettuce, a bit of pepper, some weeds but she is fussy she like young weeds so I struggle when I pick the older weeds leaves. She eats better in summer when she is outside and eats herself. I have all the seeds to grow my own. I sprinkle the food with calci dust and nutribal. Was doing this twice a week but got advised to up it to 5 days calci dust and 2 days nutribal. I have had her for 2 years now so if I’m doing anything now that’s detrimental to her long term health and well-being please advise. I should have a new home in about 3-4 month. Also she has never hibernated over winter when I got her, and not with me either as last year the vet advised not to due to a little whistle she has. And also vet said I didn’t have to hibernate her if I didn’t want to. I hope this isn’t too much reading but I’m pretty desperate now and hit rock bottom after being on the social media sites. I feel like I’m doing wrong. Lula seems happy to me, her shell looks good comparing it to pictures of unhealthy shells and problems. Thankyou all for reading and helping me

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The mercury vapor bulb adds a lot of harsh heat -- check the temps in the habitat to make sure they are not going out of safe range. A few weeks, even, without uvb radiation is not going to hurt at all (think of how they are not exposed to any natural light radiation during winter when they are in their burrows). Check the care sheet Lyn linked for you in post #8 to double check your temps.

Do what you can to get her to eat more mature leaves, or at least darker types of greens. Offer whole young leaves sprinkled with bits of chopped mature leaves. If your food stores carry curly endive, Belgian endive (green and/or red) -- those are both related to dandelion which are a natural food for this species.

Too much calcium can do as much damage to her mineral balance as too little. A mere pinch of the supplement powders 2-3 times a week is fine. A varied diet and regular exercise in natural light do most of the work for you in regard to mineral metabolism.

Brumation is completely optional for pets not intended for breeding. If she stays awake, active, and eating: don't worry about it.

Best of luck with your moving plans! We are purchasing our (final) home in a few weeks. Moving is a special kind of madness all its own. =))

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
The mercury vapor bulb adds a lot of harsh heat -- check the temps in the habitat to make sure they are not going out of safe range. A few weeks, even, without uvb radiation is not going to hurt at all (think of how they are not exposed to any natural light radiation during winter when they are in their burrows). Check the care sheet Lyn linked for you in post #8 to double check your temps.

Do what you can to get her to eat more mature leaves, or at least darker types of greens. Offer whole young leaves sprinkled with bits of chopped mature leaves. If your food stores carry curly endive, Belgian endive (green and/or red) -- those are both related to dandelion which are a natural food for this species.

Too much calcium can do as much damage to her mineral balance as too little. A mere pinch of the supplement powders 2-3 times a week is fine. A varied diet and regular exercise in natural light do most of the work for you in regard to mineral metabolism.

Brumation is completely optional for pets not intended for breeding. If she stays awake, active, and eating: don't worry about it.

Best of luck with your moving plans! We are purchasing our (final) home in a few weeks. Moving is a special kind of madness all its own. =))
Moving = Madness

Understatement of the Forum. ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
*family* forum

ROFL!

Can't even get near the subject of Financing without all-the-swears... =DD
My son bought a new home a few weeks ago...they are moving out of a rental to their new home...for almost 2 months my DIL has been an angry b...my son is a di*k...they were both so freakin ugly I stopped helping them. Moving is an ugly tense business...I surprised they didn't get a divorce...

Lulabee247

Durham
Here are a few pics of the top of her shell, if anyone sees anything wrong please do tell. Also she doesn’t seem to grind down her back nails very much, are these too long ? I hate having to cut them myself but I have bought slate and I know it’s a slow process. Il make something a little more rough for her outdoor enclosure when I get my (our) house. I just feel like she walks on the inside step of her foot rather than the whole foot could this be due to long nails or am I seriously worrying too much.
Really appreciate the friendly advice on here (and the banter haha) il be here more now Iv given up the social media groups

Attachments

• 9CD2CBA7-148A-4394-9A49-F44C5374ADED.jpeg
    9CD2CBA7-148A-4394-9A49-F44C5374ADED.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 35FCEDE7-9FC5-4278-88B9-307D902857FA.jpeg
    35FCEDE7-9FC5-4278-88B9-307D902857FA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 62769041-B98F-4374-86F0-71200A982C65.jpeg
    62769041-B98F-4374-86F0-71200A982C65.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • CF229BA2-B138-4AF1-94AD-7D0D76231EFC.jpeg
    CF229BA2-B138-4AF1-94AD-7D0D76231EFC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Hey there. That last pix of just the claws…. Not intimately knowledgeable of how long they should naturally be, but, they do look very very long. I would venture to say a few trimmings over time will be good at least on these hind claws. Ive found that nail trimmers used for birds work well - never use pliers/wire cutters (they squish the nail instead of cutting through cleanly).

Sample - https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-bird-nail-clippers

Trimming your pet’s nails can be difficult at first, we recommend having a second person to help restrain your pet and keep them calm. Carefully examine nails to find blood vessels. If your pet has light-colored nails, clip above the blood vessels. If your pet has dark nails, clip only a small amount from nail tip. If bleeding occures, dab the nail and apply styptic powder, flour or cornstartch. After initial trip, clip nails as needed.