Is this Cat's Ear?

Philip Tyrrell

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin, Ireland
I'm thinking this is Cat's Ear but haven't seen it flower.

The leaves are smooth but I thought Cat's Ear was slightly hairy.

And if it is just to confirm, I'm right in saying this is okay for my Hermann's.

The amount of dandelion and plantain is reducing rapidly at this time of year but this weeds seems to be push on through a bit stringer.IMG_1235.JPG

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Dock, perhaps. Do you have any in Ireland? It's native to Europe. Not good to eat, if that's what it is.

Not cats ear, at any rate.

Philip Tyrrell

Dublin, Ireland
Dock, perhaps. Do you have any in Ireland? It's native to Europe. Not good to eat, if that's what it is.

Not cats ear, at any rate.

Not what we would call Dock anyway. That has a wide large more rounded leaf here at least.

It's a pity I can't identify it. Not many weeds about as we go into autumn and winter here but this one seems to be still growing well compared to the usual edible ones.
At the moment there is still a small amount of Dandelion, Plantain (she's not mad about this though), Clover and Bind Weed about, Thistle is getting rare cause people tend to cut it back and I only like to pick the new growth for her anyway. I use these during the right season and supplement with Kale and Lettuce.
I don't like the idea of having her on shop bought stuff for so many months. This will be our first full cold season having her. We will really be limited to Kale, lettuce (no iceberg) and Rocket because we don't get great variety in the shops here.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, I saw that your dock is wider leaved than ours when I was looking. Any chance you have access to something like a "common weeds of Ireland" or "common invasive plants of Ireland" website? I narrow down a lot of weeds that way.

Dublin is a reasonably cosmopolitan city, right? Do you have any Asian or Iranian markets near you? I find a ton of stuff at ours.

Philip Tyrrell

Dublin, Ireland
Dublin is very cosmopolitan all right but I don't live close enough to the city to make it a quick easy trip in. The outskirts, while very diverse in culture now still haven't got many markets let alone ones with Asian or other influences.

Looked at all the on line resources I can find but none show this weed in a way I can confirm it unfortunately.

It's a pity cause there is plenty of it about still.