Is This shell rot? **PLEASE HELP**

Harry

5 Year Member
IMG_0551.JPGIMG_0550.JPGIMG_0549.JPGIMG_0548.JPGIMG_0547.JPGHey all.
so i have a Russian tortoises and hes has white rings on her shell and some white in between her scoots in her enclosure the hottest part is about 30c and the lower end is about 25c i feed her some lettuces, water cress and dandelions and every day, the water cress and lettuce is so shes gets water and the dandelions for the fiber and other nutrients, her table is normal dry but is sometimes damp when i give it a small spray, i have attached some pics so you can see, please help me! if it is shell rot is there any ways i can treat her at home because i don't really have the money to get vet treatment, i do have the money but it would be painful because of my lack of money at the moment. around the ring it is not smelly but it is just a tine bit flexible but she is only young so that might be because her shell has not finished hardening she is about 1 year. **PLEASE HELP ME**
Thanks guys. Please have a look at all the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Calm down. There's nothing wrong with your little tortoise. The light spaces between the "design" on the shell is the new growth. The little white curlie cues are also nothing to worry about. You see that quite a bit in healthy baby tortoises.

What kind of light are you using? Normally when a baby gets to be the size of your baby their shell has "weathered" a bit and doesn't look so "brand new" like yours does. So I'm wondering if you're not using the correct type of UVB light.

Harry

5 Year Member
IMG_0552.JPGi don't know the make of the uv light but its just a normal 10.0 uv tube light that provides uvb and uva, don't know if it will help but here is a pic.
Ignore the dirty water bowel she just had a little swin lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Is that bulb hanging/mounted from above so it shines down onto the enclosure? or is mounted sideways like in the pic? what type of heat source do you use? if 30c is the hottest spot, do you mean directly under the basking light/heat source? If yes, you may want to bump the basking spot to closer to 95-98 and the cooler end is good as long as you are running wet cool end....

Harry

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Is that bulb hanging/mounted from above so it shines down onto the enclosure? or is mounted sideways like in the pic? what type of heat source do you use? if 30c is the hottest spot, do you mean directly under the basking light/heat source? If yes, you may want to bump the basking spot to closer to 95-98 and the cooler end is good as long as you are running wet cool end....

The pic is exactly how i have the uv bulb and when i say 30c i man celsius right under the heat bulb, do i still need it to be up to 95 celcius i think that would be way to hot, is it? and what do you mean by "the cooler end is good as long as you are running wet cool end"?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Harry said:
ascott said:

The pic is exactly how i have the uv bulb and when i say 30c i man celsius right under the heat bulb, do i still need it to be up to 95 celcius i think that would be way to hot, is it? and what do you mean by "the cooler end is good as long as you are running wet cool end"?

Ick! Not 95 degrees Celsius.. lol. 95F = 35C. I think ascott meant don't have a cold/moist environment. Warm and humid is key. Cold and wet will make your tortoise sick. Hope that helps.

Harry

5 Year Member
pfara said:
Harry said:
ascott said:

Ick! Not 95 degrees Celsius.. lol. 95F = 35C. I think ascott meant don't have a cold/moist environment. Warm and humid is key. Cold and wet will make your tortoise sick. Hope that helps.

Thanks sory clearing that up :) i thort 90 celsius would be way to hot lol :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
LOL...90c would get you some baked tortoise on the shell. You can slow cook a roast at that temp. I love what I can see of your torts house and s/he is a pretty little guy/gal.

Harry

5 Year Member
Saleama said:
LOL...90c would get you some baked tortoise on the shell. You can slow cook a roast at that temp. I love what I can see of your torts house and s/he is a pretty little guy/gal.

yeah i was sure 90c would be to hot ;) LOL and its a girl, thanks :)