Is this shell rot?

John Franzwa

Hi I'm new to keeping torts and I recently got my Russian tort Shelly about 3 months from a pet smart and I recently noticed some white and possibly indents on her back. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457825959.210348.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457825974.643037.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457825992.126414.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457826005.513222.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I see no shell rot. It is not common in russians.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Man o man!!! I'll bet that poor tortoise bled like a stuck pig when they cut it's toenails. They were cut awfully short.

A point of info for you - shell rot normally starts on the plastron (bottom shell) from the tortoise sitting in wet/dirty substrate. It usually smells.

It's hard to find a wild caught (or pet store) Russian tortoise with a perfect shell. Because of the conditions they're kept in after being caught and waiting to be shipped, they sometimes look pretty rough. But this is ok. Usually not harmful to the tortoise.

John Franzwa

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Man o man!!! I'll bet that poor tortoise bled like a stuck pig when they cut it's toenails. They were cut awfully short.

A point of info for you - shell rot normally starts on the plastron (bottom shell) from the tortoise sitting in wet/dirty substrate. It usually smells.

It's hard to find a wild caught (or pet store) Russian tortoise with a perfect shell. Because of the conditions they're kept in after being caught and waiting to be shipped, they sometimes look pretty rough. But this is ok. Usually not harmful to the tortoise.

Thanks I didn't know about the nails and I'm talking about the white flaky stuff where her skin meets here shell

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok what do you think it could be did she bump her she'll on something or...

The carapace looks like a normal russian carapace to me. Their shells are a bit "rougher" looking than some species.