Is this shell rot?

abbiepaigexx

I've just been looking at my turtles and noticed dryness on the shell. I'm really worried. Is this shell rot? And if so how can it be cured? I would appreciate so much if someone can help me. I'm really hoping this isn't serious ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408474327.100807.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408474355.941776.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
A lot of times the water out of the tap has all kinds of mineral, etc. deposits in it - not only do we [ unless filtered ] drink it we subject our turtles to them!!!!

You obviously are filtering their water.. probly too much. The deposits seldom effect the health of our turtles.

We terrapin keepers are able to add salt to the water to help "clean" the water of these elements.. but adding salt can be tricky with your "stinkers"!

If it were me.. and you may not want to hear this although your stinkers wouldn't mind a bit.. I would allow algae to grow in the water to "feed" off the elements! I've seen algae covered rocks all of a sudden MOVE in the shallow waters in the wild -- only to find out they were musk turtles! Algae was growing on them!!!

This doesn't mean let your water get nasty and stinky.

So go get your water tested and find out what elements are in it. Then ask how to "clean-up" those elements. Some kind of filter / non-toxic additive is all it will take.

My very first water turtles were Stinkpots!!!

abbiepaigexx

A lot of times the water out of the tap has all kinds of mineral, etc. deposits in it - not only do we [ unless filtered ] drink it we subject our turtles to them!!!!

You obviously are filtering their water.. probly too much. The deposits seldom effect the health of our turtles.

We terrapin keepers are able to add salt to the water to help "clean" the water of these elements.. but adding salt can be tricky with your "stinkers"!

If it were me.. and you may not want to hear this although your stinkers wouldn't mind a bit.. I would allow algae to grow in the water to "feed" off the elements! I've seen algae covered rocks all of a sudden MOVE in the shallow waters in the wild -- only to find out they were musk turtles! Algae was growing on them!!!

This doesn't mean let your water get nasty and stinky.

So go get your water tested and find out what elements are in it. Then ask how to "clean-up" those elements. Some kind of filter / non-toxic additive is all it will take.

My very first water turtles were Stinkpots!!!

So do you not think that this is shell rot? Where and how can I get my water tested? Thank you for your reply!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Abbie "shell-rot" is what happens to land turtles and tortoises.. caused by a fungus, etc. - not water turtles.

What you see on your /any water turtle is what I described.. as I described.

Quit worrying about it.. quite frankly I don't see anything on your turtles - and you have taken pretty good pics to judge by.. good job!!!

Go to the water dept.? or whoever provides you with your water. Ask a school, etc. to check what chemicals are in the water? I don't know your situation and what is available for you.

There are all kinds of chemical / nuetralizing additives for tropical fish nowadays. Maybe you will get lucky and find someone at a petstore that knows how to check water - checking PH is NOT going to tell you much.. but it's a start. Is there a good Saltwater fish store you can ask? Again maybe they will know.. don't be afraid to tell them what you are dealing with. Take a pint jar of tap water with you of course.

Do a complete water change and add what is prescribed to the water.

When I do a partial water change for my freshwater Mollies I use this liquid called "StartRight" to take the chlorine, etc. out of the tap water.. it is one of many additives for water treatment.

Keep me posted...

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
The absolute best water conditioner is seachem prime.

As far as testing water goes, pet stores and at home tests will only test for chemicals in the nitrogen cycle...ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph...for minerals and other additives to tap water you'll need to contact the water company, whether that's the city or whatever, and request a copy of the water analysis. They should do at least annual public reports, usually more.