Is this tail a problem

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey guys please help I got a 2 2 month old Russian tortoises a few weeks ago and Joe has a baby tail(that's what I call it) but Shmoe's tail curves in like a mature male's tail would be like...PLEASE HELP I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS BAD OR NOT HELP!!!!!!!

Tae An

5 Year Member
Alabama
At that age they should have similar tails and there is no way to tell if they are a male or a female. They do keep their tails on either side or straight down(which is fine). Pretty sure there is nothing wrong but you should post some photos just in case if you are worried

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys please help I got a 2 2 month old Russian tortoises a few weeks ago and Joe has a baby tail(that's what I call it) but Shmoe's tail curves in like a mature male's tail would be like...PLEASE HELP I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS BAD OR NOT HELP!!!!!!!

We need a pic, and let us know if they live separately or together.

Arizona
Yes they live together I will post the picture sometime this week because they are sleeping and I am busy at the beginning of the week

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russian tortoises are amongst the most scrappy and territorial species regardless of gender or being siblings.

They don’t get lonely and don’t need want a friend. It is not recommended that you keep them as a pair as bullying is inevitable.

This could be physical and it could result in blood being drawn... or it could be mental. Cuddling up together, for example, is actually one tortoise trying to stop the other from sleeping in their territory.

These 2 should be kept entirely separately. Otherwise one will fail to thrive and could be rapidly become very sick indeed.

If you want to breed from them later then introduce them to mate and then separate them again.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes they live together I will post the picture sometime this week because they are sleeping and I am busy at the beginning of the week

Re-reading your first post… Did you get two 2 month old tortoises, or did you get one 22 month old tortoise? Did they come from a breeder? How do you know the age and what size are they?

I agree with Joe's Mum. They need to be separated ASAP and should not live as a pair.

Arizona
Ok thanks for the info I have two 2 month olds.
I got them from a pet shop(I know not the best but they look fine, clear eyes)
The pet shop guy told me the age of them.
Also I looked at his tail this morning it's fine now thanks for the help:):tort:
Are you guys sure they can't live together as babies and get seperated later on in their life because in the pet shop and on YouTube a whole lot of people put multiple torts together...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you guys sure they can't live together as babies and get seperated later on in their life because in the pet shop and on YouTube a whole lot of people put multiple torts together...

Multiples will often work fine. I raised my russians in groups of 6-8 juveniles and had no problems.

It is pairs that are the problem. Groups of 3 or more will usually work out okay, but sometimes even that doesn't work, and russians are one of the worst species for being scrappy and not getting along.

The pic is lost because of that photo bucket nonsense, but here is a thread from a member whose baby russian lost and eye to its sibling:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/

They need to be separated now, before one of them loses an eye, or worse.