Is this wood safe for tortoise enclosures?

kashyaptort

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
So I recently got a new desk for work and decided to upcycle my desk to make a new enclosure for my tort! But, I am not very sure about the wood that the desk is made of. I am keeping it my balcony, which has lots of plants and so there's already lots of humidity and I want to make sure the wood doesn't rot or get damaged. I hope I can get some info about this wood so I can decide if it's ok to move my tortoise in soon :) Also, the wood has no smell so I'm gonna guess that it doesn't have any chemical or toxic substances in it. If it does, I'll make sure to cover it with tarp or something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 9

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It’s really really hard to tell what is what in your picture. It looks more like “manufactured” wood than real wood. But, i could be long.

Use a good thick tarp & you should be fine. If this is located outside on your balcony in Dubai - hot & dry - you shouldn't have any problems.

kashyaptort

Dubai
I am sorry for the picture not being enough :( but yes the climate in the Dubai is hot 24/7 365, so I too think it'll be fine. The wood is from a carpenter store and I got the desk custom built. I suppose I'll wait for some more opinions, just so that I can finalize what I will be doing!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Try to take a picture from a bit further away so we see the entire desk/enclosure.

Carpenter’s use MDF as well, especially on furniture.

But…regardless, a good relatively thick tarp & lots of substrate.

Have fun. Ive been to Dubai a few times - great place.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I recently got a new desk for work and decided to upcycle my desk to make a new enclosure for my tort! But, I am not very sure about the wood that the desk is made of. I am keeping it my balcony, which has lots of plants and so there's already lots of humidity and I want to make sure the wood doesn't rot or get damaged. I hope I can get some info about this wood so I can decide if it's ok to move my tortoise in soon :) Also, the wood has no smell so I'm gonna guess that it doesn't have any chemical or toxic substances in it. If it does, I'll make sure to cover it with tarp or something.
That looks like a type of particle board. If it gets wet, it will be ruined.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
From the pic it looks like its particle board covered with a thin sheet of Formica. I have shelves made out of similar material and as long as it stays completely dry it will be ok but as soon as it gets wet it falls apart and becomes a huge mess. I try never to use particle board on any of my tortoise enclosures for that reason.

kashyaptort

Dubai
Do you think have some strong tarp would be enough to make sure no water goes in to the board then? I won't be misting the enclosure much because I already receive lots of humid air because of my plants and the overall location of my house.

kashyaptort

Dubai
Try to take a picture from a bit further away so we see the entire desk/enclosure.

Carpenter’s use MDF as well, especially on furniture.

But…regardless, a good relatively thick tarp & lots of substrate.

Have fun. Ive been to Dubai a few times - great place.
I'll try sending the pictures soon, it's gotten pretty dark outside now :D

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I think you can try it cant hurt . My point is there are better materials to work with but I imagine you may not have access to building materials like I do. Just keep in mind keeping it dry is imperative to particle board products.

kashyaptort

Dubai
I have yet to find any good woodworking stores in my area, so this might be just a temporary enclosure for him. My tort seems to be needing more space, so I decided to work with something I already have. There aren't many stores specifically made for reptile stuff, and even if they are there, they are usually hours away, so I don't get time to travel that huge distance. I am sticking to what I have, and if I ever find a nice store with safe wood for him, I would get him a new enclosure any day.

kashyaptort

Dubai
IMG_20220918_121952.jpgSo this is how it looks ATM. Just cleaned it up with water and broomed any dust that would be there. Gonna put some liner and give updates to make sure I am doing this right! Thank you everyone for giving some insight!

kashyaptort

Dubai
GUYS HE LOVES HIS NEW HOME!!!

I just put some Coco substrate, his slate, and his hide and he just exploring his new home! Thank you for helping me, I don't know what I would do without your help :)))IMG_20220918_131806.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pat or mash down the substrate so it's not so "fluffy."