Isn't this a pretty low price for Pancakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
its most likely cause they are LTC and not CB. they seem like the right price for what he has. Pancakes came down in price the last few years, i wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a little more.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, GB, you party pooper!!! ;)

Hmmm, I would be okay with them dropping more... They are cool tortoises.

I don't actually NEED any more torts right now. Except a couple MEE. That is it. Seriously. No, I mean it!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Kristina,

Sorry, you should have hit me up before the IRS did!

I have 2.4 Pancakes, all but two were captive born. I did pay more for the captive born animals but to me it was worth it. Theyre great tortoises if you don't mind keeping a heated sandbox full with rocks in it! They rarely come out in the open when there is people and movement around them. They spend much of their time hiding under the rock caverns peering out. They will get stressed out to the max if you "go in after them" and try to bring them out into the open. My one exception suprisingly is the wild caught female that I have. She is out often and shows very little fear when anyone is in the area or even when I stick my hands into their enclosure to feed them or clean up after them. She seems to be the exception to normal Pancake tortoise behavior. Even so, I can't explain it, they are just neat an unique tortoises and somehow interesting to have!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, I will remember that next year :D :D :D

I'm not one of those people that has to play with my tortoises, lol. I do handle the Russians, because they don't seem to mind, but I leave my Hingebacks alone for the most part. I only pick them up every so often to check on how everyone feels weight wise, and just to do a quick once over. Or to carry them in and out of the house, which they have gotten used to.

Little torty faces peeking out from underneath rocks actually sounds quite cute.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I bought a pancake almost 20 years ago now for 90$, I was in my teens and woefully unprepared to care for it, also it was pre net so there was no info on them. It did not make it more than a year.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
"I'm not one of those people that has to play with my tortoises, lol. I do handle the Russians, because they don't seem to mind, but I leave my Hingebacks alone for the most part. I only pick them up every so often to check on how everyone feels weight wise, and just to do a quick once over. Or to carry them in and out of the house, which they have gotten used to."

Be still my heart! The tortoise woman of my dreams! :D

Get the Pancakes, you'll love them!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
ROFL!!!

Maybe a project for next year ;) I have enough on my plate at the moment, have to get my current kids and the three I am adopting soon taken care of :)

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
GBtortoises said:

I wish I had a hardcore tortoise woman.... Mine does what she has to, but she's not fanatical about it all (and uses it against me all the time).

I agree, get pancakes... They rule.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
"Mine does what she has to, but she's not fanatical about it all (and uses it against me all the time)."

Okay I have to take this opportunity to brag about my wife Donna: She isn't interested in tortoises much at all, takes a look at them once in a while but that's about it. If anything has a bit of soft spot for Redfoots and of course babies of any species, no other interest though. But[i/] in over 25 years with all the crazy money I've spent on the tortoises, the trips driving all over to pick them up, dragging her around herp shows, carting them to work for me to ship them out (when she used to) and the ridiculously high electric and food bills in the winter she has never, not once, ever complained about me having them.

So maybe I do have the tortoise woman of my dreams, she just isn't interested in tortoises!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I win! The other day my wife came in and said: you know what, I think we need to get more tortoises!
Sorry to reply off topic.
Neal

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I have as reliable source as there is that hundreds of illegally imported 'pancakes' have flooded the market recently.. less than 5% were confiscated.

FWIW [ for what it's worth ]

Terry K

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have you all beat :)

Here are a couple of pics of my husband to prove my point...

kris011-1.jpg

kris012-1.jpg

KristinasPictures205.jpg

KristinasPictures206.jpg

KristinasPictures207.jpg

KristinasPictures209.jpg

KristinasPictures210.jpg

KristinasPictures211.jpg

KristinasPictures215.jpg

(Yes, I built those too, lol. I actually removed all the sod from the Russian building site while he was gone :) I just get stuck holding the camera. But you get my point ;) )

This man had never SEEN a tortoise before he met me :D Poor guy.

I told him we were getting three more, and he asked when, lol. I told him I was worried he would be upset, and he said, "What would be the point of that?" Such a dear.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree Pancakes are very cool and just all around great tortoises. :)

Now to go off topic with I have you all beat with Kelly :D :D :D

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GBtortoises said:
My one exception suprisingly is the wild caught female that I have. She is out often and shows very little fear when anyone is in the area or even when I stick my hands into their enclosure to feed them or clean up after them. She seems to be the exception to normal Pancake tortoise behavior. Even so, I can't explain it, they are just neat an unique tortoises and somehow interesting to have!

She knows she's got it made. No more lions, hyenas, leopards, cape buffalos, pythons, parasites, droughts, etc... She's lived in the wild and knows how hard it is. Now she's livin' the good life:D. Those CBs don't know how good they have it. She parades around to make sure she's your favorite and you never want to return her to Africa.

TylerStewart said:
GBtortoises said:

I wish I had a hardcore tortoise woman.... Mine does what she has to, but she's not fanatical about it all (and uses it against me all the time).

I agree, get pancakes... They rule.

Yeah, welcome to the club, Tyler. You probably won't meet my wife in Phoenix. If you do, she probably won't be in a good mood.

Millerlite said:
its most likely cause they are LTC and not CB. they seem like the right price for what he has. Pancakes came down in price the last few years, i wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a little more.

LTC? What means this, says me?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Long Term Captive, I believe

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Redfoot NERD said:
I have as reliable source as there is that hundreds of illegally imported 'pancakes' have flooded the market recently.. less than 5% were confiscated.

FWIW [ for what it's worth ]

Terry K

What does your source think was illegal about them coming in? I know the source, and there was 200 in the shipment. They had paperwork on them, and CITES does allow some to go out/come in. I didn't know of any that were taken (the 5%), nor a reason they should have been.

Tom said:
Yeah, welcome to the club, Tyler. You probably won't meet my wife in Phoenix. If you do, she probably won't be in a good mood.

My wife isn't bad - she loves the animals, just that she gets frustrated that I get home from 9 hours of work and immediately have a few hours of work to do on the tortoises and e-mails to catch up on, shipments to prep, etc. I give her the option of getting it all done before I get there so I don't have to. Sometimes she has, sometimes she hasn't. She'll be in Phx with me.

I just have this dream in the back of my head that I could get home from work, and there'd be little flags in the ground where the tortoises nested that morning, 2 or 3 tortoises pulled out because they didn't have one eye open and needed attention, instead of me digging randomly in the ground a stone and pebble at a time looking for eggs and having to check over the animals as the sun goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.