It's official! Sheldon's a BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
My hubby and I were out digging up our potatoes this afternoon and Sheldon our Sulcata was pacing up and down the rows very nervously. After about twenty minutes he started grunting and then before I knew it my 5 yr old daughter was asking me what was wrong with Sheldon. I looked down and there it was for the whole world to see. I think my garden hose make feel a little violated but it was a quite productive day around my house; for both Sheldon and our potato rows.

Always interesting to see what God has designed! I had been waiting to see if he truly was male-the rescue we got him from said he was...but I have learned with Sulcatas and torts that it is often difficult to tell. Other than a few questions from my daughter about what was happening to the tortoise that I tried to quickly deflect onto another topic we are now well informed that he is what we were told. A BOY!

Just thought that I would share my afternoon adventures! :tort:

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
TMI!!! Nah, actually that is hilarious! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

dbeilfuss said:
My hubby and I were out digging up our potatoes this afternoon and Sheldon our Sulcata was pacing up and down the rows very nervously. After about twenty minutes he started grunting and then before I knew it my 5 yr old daughter was asking me what was wrong with Sheldon. I looked down and there it was for the whole world to see. I think my garden hose make feel a little violated but it was a quite productive day around my house; for both Sheldon and our potato rows.

Always interesting to see what God has designed! I had been waiting to see if he truly was male-the rescue we got him from said he was...but I have learned with Sulcatas and torts that it is often difficult to tell. Other than a few questions from my daughter about what was happening to the tortoise that I tried to quickly deflect onto another topic we are now well informed that he is what we were told. A BOY!

Just thought that I would share my afternoon adventures! :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So ummm how was the potato crop this year? :D Always nice to know for sure, isn't it?

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
So ummm how was the potato crop this year? :D Always nice to know for sure, isn't it?

They are currently undergoing an extensive double wash cycle! :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
dubious congrats on being flashed, this may be a little off topic and I apologize but you said he was grunting and making noises? did it look or sound like he was having difficulty "flashing"?

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
dubious congrats on being flashed, this may be a little off topic and I apologize but you said he was grunting and making noises? did it look or sound like he was having difficulty "flashing"?

It did not appear that he was having difficulty. This is going to sound crude but there have been a few videos on YouTube that showed the motions and sounds and I had looked at them to know what to look out for. It sounded "normal" from what little I know about the topic and have watched. It was only a few noises and the rest was silent. As I was still digging potatoes in that row right beside him I saw the whole show and he "finished".....I think.....? There was extra liquid that was left behind afterwards.

Should I be concerned?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
If "it" stays out and does not go back in, then you need to worry. Lou (Male CDT) seems to be doing this alot lately as well, I usually run the hose over him and he pulls it back in. Kinda scary looking!!! Yikes!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
as long as it goes back in then no worries I was just wondering if it sounded like he was having trouble or just making happy noises.

dbeilfuss

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
as long as it goes back in then no worries I was just wondering if it sounded like he was having trouble or just making happy noises.

I would say they were def along the happier sounds that I have heard him make. He does not like people near his food when he is eating-he will almost make a hissing sound.....he also makes that sound if my dog comes up on him too quickly. So when comparing those two sounds....I would say that the first would be considered a "happy" sound.
Thanks for checking on me, I appreciate it. So often I get worried that I will accidentally do something to hurt or harm him. I didn't know that after only having him here with us for three weeks I would love the big guy so much! He has a great personality....when he is not assaulting my soaker hose that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.