I've been using a coiled UVB light bulb and I don't know if I'm using the right light bulb for basking!

randominique

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I didn't know that coiled UVB bulbs could cause damage. I've been using one for a couple of, well, years, and I'm scared that I've damaged my Russian tortoise. Keep in mind that I have never taken my Russian outside (my dad hasn't gotten to getting him an outdoor pen and I honestly forgot about it for a while...I know that's bad but I'm getting to it), so this UV bulb has been my tortoise's only source of UV. I've also heard that the new UV bulbs are fine, but I don't think mine is new. How bad can damage from UVB bulbs get?

I'm also unsure if I am using the right light bulb for basking. I've spoken to my dad about both bulbs and he said, "They literally say it's for reptiles, so it's got to be legit." I'm not really sure about that, seeing that there are so many things sold "for reptiles" that are actually harmful.

These are the bulbs I am using:
1727560231441.png1727560463889.png

This is my tortoise's enclosure:
1727559679278.png
(I am aware that this enclosure is not suited for a Russian tortoise, I am speaking with my dad about getting a new one)

This is my tortoise, is there any damage that you can spot?
1727560869510.png1727560924813.png

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I didn't know that coiled UVB bulbs could cause damage. I've been using one for a couple of, well, years, and I'm scared that I've damaged my Russian tortoise. Keep in mind that I have never taken my Russian outside (my dad hasn't gotten to getting him an outdoor pen and I honestly forgot about it for a while...I know that's bad but I'm getting to it), so this UV bulb has been my tortoise's only source of UV. I've also heard that the new UV bulbs are fine, but I don't think mine is new. How bad can damage from UVB bulbs get?

I'm also unsure if I am using the right light bulb for basking. I've spoken to my dad about both bulbs and he said, "They literally say it's for reptiles, so it's got to be legit." I'm not really sure about that, seeing that there are so many things sold "for reptiles" that are actually harmful.

These are the bulbs I am using:
View attachment 380082View attachment 380084

This is my tortoise's enclosure:
View attachment 380079
(I am aware that this enclosure is not suited for a Russian tortoise, I am speaking with my dad about getting a new one)

This is my tortoise, is there any damage that you can spot?
View attachment 380085View attachment 380086
Hello and welcome!🐢💚

Most important thing right now is you’ve noticed something isn’t correct and are reaching out to fix it! Glad to have you here!

You’re correct in that the coil uv isn’t a good or particularly safe option, if it’s years old, it’s likely producing little to no uv at this point which is essential for your tortoises long term health.

For the basking bulb, it’s either a spot or floodlight but I can’t tell from this packaging, does the bulb have a frosted front to it? A floodlight should and that’s the kind you’re wanting, not an intense spot bulb.

There are many bulbs sold for reptiles yes, but doesn’t mean they’re appropriate for tortoises specifically.

Unfortunately many other sources, including reptile stores, are repeating and following the same old outdated and incorrect care information.

This forum has members who have been raising all kinds of species for years and have through trial and error, perfected the safest, most efficient ways to raise healthy smooth tortoises long term.

Unfortunately it looks like from the get go you were sold the typical wrong set up. It’s much too small for an adult.

I can’t see any visible damage on the photos, though he does appear in need of a beak trim. How’s his walking? Does he lift his entire shell off the ground?

I think you’ll hopefully find this thread a good read, it covers the correct kind of equipment, including the right uv, correct levels, substrates, sizing, appropriately maintaining humidity, there’s a good diet link to check out and lots of visual examples for everything🙂

This one is also good to familiarise with, it’ll help you avoid the wrong kind of bulbs, substrates, housing etc, I encourage you to double check purchases on here before buying too

Hope this helps! Any further questions, please ask away🐢💚

randominique

Ohio
Hello and welcome!🐢💚

Most important thing right now is you’ve noticed something isn’t correct and are reaching out to fix it! Glad to have you here!

You’re correct in that the coil uv isn’t a good or particularly safe option, if it’s years old, it’s likely producing little to no uv at this point which is essential for your tortoises long term health.

For the basking bulb, it’s either a spot or floodlight but I can’t tell from this packaging, does the bulb have a frosted front to it? A floodlight should and that’s the kind you’re wanting, not an intense spot bulb.

There are many bulbs sold for reptiles yes, but doesn’t mean they’re appropriate for tortoises specifically.

Unfortunately many other sources, including reptile stores, are repeating and following the same old outdated and incorrect care information.

This forum has members who have been raising all kinds of species for years and have through trial and error, perfected the safest, most efficient ways to raise healthy smooth tortoises long term.

Unfortunately it looks like from the get go you were sold the typical wrong set up. It’s much too small for an adult.

I can’t see any visible damage on the photos, though he does appear in need of a beak trim. How’s his walking? Does he lift his entire shell off the ground?

I think you’ll hopefully find this thread a good read, it covers the correct kind of equipment, including the right uv, correct levels, substrates, sizing, appropriately maintaining humidity, there’s a good diet link to check out and lots of visual examples for everything🙂

This one is also good to familiarise with, it’ll help you avoid the wrong kind of bulbs, substrates, housing etc, I encourage you to double check purchases on here before buying too

Hope this helps! Any further questions, please ask away🐢💚
Thank you for the information! I didn't mean we were using the same bulb for years, I meant that we were using the same type of bulb. Sorry, should have clarified that. The basking light does not have a frosted front. I'll be sure to get a new one!

Yeah, the enclosure is pretty small. It was an upgrade from the original enclosure we had (an even smaller glass tank :( ), but still too small. As for the walking, his entire shell is lifted off the ground when he walks. His beak will be trimmed soon when I take him to the vet. Too scared to trim it on my own haha

Funnily enough, I was reading the "Common Keeping Errors" thread earlier. It's actually what got me concerned about my tortoise's light bulbs.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you for the information! I didn't mean we were using the same bulb for years, I meant that we were using the same type of bulb. Sorry, should have clarified that. The basking light does not have a frosted front. I'll be sure to get a new one!

Yeah, the enclosure is pretty small. It was an upgrade from the original enclosure we had (an even smaller glass tank :( ), but still too small. As for the walking, his entire shell is lifted off the ground when he walks. His beak will be trimmed soon when I take him to the vet. Too scared to trim it on my own haha

Funnily enough, I was reading the "Common Keeping Errors" thread earlier. It's actually what got me concerned about my tortoise's light bulbs.
No problem at all and thank you for clarifying! Even though the bulb isn’t appropriate that reassures me he’s at least be receiving some uv.

Ok for the basking id go with this one is you can, 75w tends to do the trick for most🙂
IMG_1669.png

Glad to hear his walking is fine too😊

Ah bless you! Glad it encouraged you to post! Hopefully the other thread will come in handy for you when it comes to upgrading🥰