Just discovered my tortoise is definitely a boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhome85

5 Year Member
I have a Russian tortoise and I've had him for just over a year now. He'll be coming up to around 5 years old. When I first got him I was told he was 'probably' a boy but that i'd know for sure once he was a little older. Well, on Sunday I found out he was a boy, it was the first time i'd noticed his big red willy coming out of his tail and I nearly died.

He's 'exposed' himself today too, when he does he kind of looked a little constipated and raised himself up off the ground to do it, I was just wondering if this is normal once they're starting to get a little older, is this the equivalent of Tortoise puberty? lol

I've read somewhere on here that if it happens too often to soak them in a bath with glucose mixed in?

I just wanted to know if I should be worried or if this is completely normal behaviour?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It's normal behavior for some males. The soaks you mentioned are only if he puts it out and then can not draw it back in. That is called a proplapse.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I was told by a lot of people on here (every reply I got) that my Redfoot was a female. I think because the "bowl" for some reason doesn't show up much in pictures. But low and behold Sheldon was acting a bit funny. He hadn't pooped so I was worried about him. I picked him up from a soak and thought I saw a poop coming out. Nope it was him exposing himself saying he was tired of the rumors :p lol. I've seen it a few times since then. So while I am not 100% sure it is normal. I am betting it is normal since Sheldon does it every so often and is fine :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Lol! He put that rumor to rest! :p

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Yep, now you know for sure. When my leopard male "found himself", he decided he liked to show it off - ALOT! He's a bit calmer now, but I can still tell by the way he stands when he's in the mood.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
The makes I have seen do like a little dance while they are flashing. My sulcata pushes up on his front legs almost like he is trying to stand on his back legs and his giant thing comes out the front and he rocks side to side. He always does this before mounting the half of trash can that is his hide. I guess the trash can indicates interest to him in some way :D

Status
Not open for further replies.