Just Joined

moongrace

5 Year Member
Hello from NC!
I have a 7 month old baby red footed tortoise named Sheldor. It has been quite an ordeal trying to get the habitat, temperature, feeding, and humidity balanced My husband says we could have gone to Europe with what I have spent trying to get this set up. Looking forward to seeing how others are caring for their red foots Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome, moongrace!
Redfoot is a very good choice.
It shouldn't be too expensive or difficult to set up a nice indoor closed chamber for him. How about an area outside, too?
78-88 for temps and 70% plus for humidity....

ShannonC

South Carolina
Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!! Lots to learn and lots of people who sincerely care about your tortoise!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, moongrace and Sheldor (and your hubbie).
And a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Read, learn, share and have fun.
Sheldor looks happy!
Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome!!! We would love to see more pics of Sheldor!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi pleased to meet you both. Know what your hubby means about the expense. My friends told me it would have been cheaper to buy a first class plane ticket to Africa to release my tort back in the wild, but he's worth every penny

moongrace

5 Year Member
Welcome, moongrace!
Redfoot is a very good choice.
It shouldn't be too expensive or difficult to set up a nice indoor closed chamber for him. How about an area outside, too?
78-88 for temps and 70% plus for humidity....

I was thinking about letting him go with me out to the vegetable garden this summer while I work out there. It's already fenced in (Thanks to the deer and groundhogs) so we thought of bracing wood around the bottom of the fence all the way around to help keep him in while I work or either sectioning him a place where he could roam to eat. I would be too nervous to leave him outdoors without someone with him, even if he is caged. The last time I left a turtle outside in a pen, it was gone the next morning...my kids STILL tell me about how I lost their turtle and they are adults now. Geeze. So far, since we got the mister, the humidity has improved to at least 70% or a tad higher but still have issues with the temperature going down to 70 or up to the 90s. Trying to get it set up so the temperature stays about the same. We keep adjusting the timers on the lights/lamps. I think being in a large aquarium is not helping.

moongrace

5 Year Member
Hi pleased to meet you both. Know what your hubby means about the expense. My friends told me it would have been cheaper to buy a first class plane ticket to Africa to release my tort back in the wild, but he's worth every penny

HAHAHAHA!!!!! When the dollars started mounting up, one of my friends just shook her head and said, "I told you the next animal you needed was a llama. You could have had a llama. "