Juvenile or Adult Aldabra

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They seem to have moved to a much warmer climate over night. With no explanation for how or why that happened, I suspect a scammer.
I guess so. Yesterday Brighton Michigan today CA. I'd move all the time if it could be done that quickly lol.
I don't think a scammer. I think they don't want to get all the slack that's given to the colder northerners. Or they did an auto fill and it never updated their move
Have to wait and see.

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
The pictures definitely look expansive and lush for Santa Monica. Having that much land in Santa Monica is a luxury indeed...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This post is obviously a scam. For other reading this looking for actual input like @Tom has given...

Several comments of how nice it looks prompts my response as there are more concerns for giant tortoises:

The enclosure is nice and looks big for those used to housing smaller tortoises, but the enclosure itself is too small for an adult Aldabra / giant tortoise. It is approximately 48 x 32 - so just over 1500 sq ft. That will turn into bare dirt/mud in no time with a giant tortoise leaving no grazing. A single giant tortoise needs at least 1/8 acre (10,000 sq ft) to allow ample grazing without overgrazing and destroying its own food source.

The fencing is nice, but I would recommend putting posts on the outside of the fence so pressure from a giant tortoise leaning against it bears against the posts, not ripping out the screws.

The pond has too smooth a sloping surface. tortoise ponds will be covered in algae within a week and becomes too slippery for a tortoise to walk up the side with the algae covering. You need to make the surface stepped or grooved to give traction in order to get a pond deep enough to soak, yet leave the ability for easy in and out for a giant tortoise.

The room shown needs insulation (even if it were in in S Calif) and a tough, resistant wall covering to protect the walls. It is way too small for a cold climate where the tortoise will need to be indoors weeks and months at at time. It is a good size for a climate where outdoor access will be year-round. Certainly would not want a sliding glass door, but a well insulated door with a smaller opening for cooler times with flaps the tortoise can push in and out of yet still keep the room warm.

Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This post is obviously a scam. For other reading this looking for actual input like @Tom has given...

Several comments of how nice it looks prompts my response as there are more concerns for giant tortoises:

The enclosure is nice and looks big for those used to housing smaller tortoises, but the enclosure itself is too small for an adult Aldabra / giant tortoise. It is approximately 48 x 32 - so just over 1500 sq ft. That will turn into bare dirt/mud in no time with a giant tortoise leaving no grazing. A single giant tortoise needs at least 1/8 acre (10,000 sq ft) to allow ample grazing without overgrazing and destroying its own food source.

The fencing is nice, but I would recommend putting posts on the outside of the fence so pressure from a giant tortoise leaning against it bears against the posts, not ripping out the screws.

The pond has too smooth a sloping surface. tortoise ponds will be covered in algae within a week and becomes too slippery for a tortoise to walk up the side with the algae covering. You need to make the surface stepped or grooved to give traction in order to get a pond deep enough to soak, yet leave the ability for easy in and out for a giant tortoise.

The room shown needs insulation (even if it were in in S Calif) and a tough, resistant wall covering to protect the walls. It is way too small for a cold climate where the tortoise will need to be indoors weeks and months at at time. It is a good size for a climate where outdoor access will be year-round. Certainly would not want a sliding glass door, but a well insulated door with a smaller opening for cooler times with flaps the tortoise can push in and out of yet still keep the room warm.
Yeah these are definitely valid points

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

a brief correction in rereading after edit time expired.

Not 1/8 acre - typo! 1/4 acre / 10,000 sq ft

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
a brief correction in rereading after edit time expired.

Not 1/8 acre - typo! 1/4 acre / 10,000 sq ft
Out of interest, in your opinion and @Tom whats the largest species you’d say is comfortable for this kind of space, taking into account a winter stay in the inside part, I’m curious🙂 a leopard? Or Greek maybe?

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Out of interest, in your opinion and @Tom whats the largest species you’d say is comfortable for this kind of space, taking into account a winter stay in the inside part, I’m curious🙂 a leopard? Or Greek maybe?
I think most all will do well in this space until you get to the size of sulcata. Confined indoors a sulcata would need more room. In a warmer climate, a sulcata would do well in this space. With good irrigation, I have found a sulcata will not overgraze (the way I keep the grass) once you have at least 1500 sq ft. With most species except giants, I like to also add lots of plants and natural hides. With giants, the more natural hides you provide - the more they want to hide outdoors instead of going to the night house that is heated. So with giants, I like the pasture open, and encourage them to walk to the night house on their own every night and in cooler or hotter weather.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks for chiming in Mark.

I noticed the position of the boards in relation to the posts too, but bit my tongue figuring that if the OP ever did put a biggun' in there, he'd figure that part out real quick.

I did not notice the pool details you mentioned, so thank you yet again for the helpful education.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will add, anyone reading this, take a look at Aldabramans old threads. His old property I believe just the Aldabras part was an acre and it always had green grass with 11 adults.
His new property I believe is about 3 1/2 acres total housing all the adult giants and lots of green grass.
Unfortunately he doesn't post more than just pictures any more, but he sure is the expert for Aldabra info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Mark. I think this size would be great for a single male sulcata, or a small group of females sulcatas, or anything smaller than that.

The OP stated the indoor section was 52x25 feet, and that would be great for any smaller species. Not ideal for a large sulcata for several months in a row in a frozen winter, but far better than what most people offer. However, the picture shown by the OP is clearly not 25 feet wide, and we can't see the length. As Mark pointed out, climate makes a huge difference in this too. If this is indeed in Michigan and the tortoises will be confined in this room for 4 or five months a year, that is a different story than Santa Monica where the tortoise would be locked in this room at night, or the occasional rainy winter day, but otherwise free to roam in the warm sunshine all year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pictures definitely look expansive and lush for Santa Monica. Having that much land in Santa Monica is a luxury indeed...
This is what occurred to me too when I saw the sudden location change. If this person can afford even the property tax on an estate that size in SaMo, they can afford to buy any tortoise they want, and would be unlikely to be asking for a freebie on a tortoise forum.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
This is what occurred to me too when I saw the sudden location change. If this person can afford even the property tax on an estate that size in SaMo, they can afford to buy any tortoise they want.

LOL, yeah total insider baseball, but I was thinking that could maybe be Malibu or something, but still very lush and large and indeed anyone with that in SaMo "ish" could buy an Aldabra full price

For reference for those outside the area, this is the cheapest SFH for sale in Santa Monica right now ($1.3M teardown): https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Monica/1114-Ozone-Ave-90405/home/6776498, and its currently under contract

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I agree with Mark. I think this size would be great for a single male sulcata, or a small group of females sulcatas, or anything smaller than that.

The OP stated the indoor section was 52x25 feet, and that would be great for any smaller species. Not ideal for a large sulcata for several months in a row in a frozen winter, but far better than what most people offer. However, the picture shown by the OP is clearly not 25 feet wide, and we can't see the length. As Mark pointed out, climate makes a huge difference in this too. If this is indeed in Michigan and the tortoises will be confined in this room for 4 or five months a year, that is a different story than Santa Monica where the tortoise would be locked in this room at night, or the occasional rainy winter day, but otherwise free to roam in the warm sunshine all year.
Yeah I agree with you about it not being ideal for a sulcata having to stay in the inside area for long periods, but like you say, with so many in dire conditions and housing, this would probably be a huge upgrade for them, which would change that one animals life for the better, again not ideal, but definitely better than how a lot of them get housed😬

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah I agree with you about it not being ideal for a sulcata having to stay in the inside area for long periods, but like you say, with so many in dire conditions and housing, this would probably be a huge upgrade for them, which would change that one animals life for the better, again not ideal, but definitely better than how a lot of them get housed😬
Agreed. I would have no complaints about the outdoor enclosure, or the stated size of the indoor enclosure, for a sulcata or any other smaller species, either in Michigan or in Southern CA.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Agreed. I would have no complaints about the outdoor enclosure, or the stated size of the indoor enclosure, for a sulcata or any other smaller species, either in Michigan or in Southern CA.
Yeah that’s totally fair, I didn’t even take their location into consideration when first commenting