Kamp Kenan

Cayleh

Location (City and/or State)
Sorrento, Fl
So, my husband and I have been fans of Kamp Kenan for a while now. So when we were in Daytona and saw that he was selling tortoises, we were excited to be able to get babies from him. Initially when we got them, they looked good and we were very happy. When we got home, got them soaking, and gave them some food, we noticed yellow bumps. I immediately freaked out because between the bumps, peeling skin, missing claws, I knew what it was. Both babies were infected with Austwickia. We did let him know there was an issue, and he apologized stating he didn't know they were sick. I fully believe he didn't know, only because he has such a large number of babies, it is impossible to know that every one of them is healthy. He did refund us our money, which I respect. However we have basically since been ghosted, despite being told he wanted updates on the babies. He stated he would "look into it" and claimed he pulled his babies from being sold this year, however I have no way to know if this is true or not because he only sells through e mail and does not post about them. However, what upsets me is he has such a huge following, that one, he could have easily warned people who bought sick animals at Daytona, and two, he could have used it to educate. We bought the babies on Saturday, and as of Tuesday had to euthanize one of them, and the other we are attempting to treat while he still has fight in him, but know that ultimately he will very likely end up having to be euthanized as well. I am incredibly upset that not only are we out all this money for having to put one baby to sleep, but out all this money for a course of antibiotics that can last more than a year IF he survives that long, with no guarantee to even work. We are also upset that all of this happened from someone who we respected and admired so heavily.
I still have hope that he will do the right thing, warn customers, and teach about Austwickia. But who knows. I do know that he is not someone I will shop from again nor support by watching videos if he doesn't speak up and do the right thing. Overall disappointed and saddened by the loss of our brand new baby.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thank you for sharing that information. Unfortunately that seems to be the species that this virus is mostly associated with. I wonder how many unreported cases there has been. Sulcatas are usually purchased by first time reptile/tortoise owners, so I wonder if they don’t see those symptoms until it’s too late and the animal has died.

Cayleh

Sorrento, Fl
Thank you for sharing that information. Unfortunately that seems to be the species that this virus is mostly associated with. I wonder how many unreported cases there has been. Sulcatas are usually purchased by first time reptile/tortoise owners, so I wonder if they don’t see those symptoms until it’s too late and the animal has died.
I knew as soon as I saw it. My husband said he'd never have noticed until it was too late. Shoot, many of the people in the group where I was like, asking if people noticed what I did, were saying they looked fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep not surprising really. He is entertaining but that's about it. I wouldn't buy from him or listen to much he has to say about care.
I also have a feeling he knew he had the highly contagious desease in his herd. He likes to talk like he knows so much. How do you breed sulcatas and not check everyone for this desease!
So sorry this happened. Thankful you told us who the breeder was.

Cayleh

Sorrento, Fl
Yep not surprising really. He is entertaining but that's about it. I wouldn't buy from him or listen to much he has to say about care.
I also have a feeling he knew he had the highly contagious desease in his herd. He likes to talk like he knows so much. How do you breed sulcatas and not check everyone for this desease!
So sorry this happened. Thankful you told us who the breeder was.
I kinda felt that too. Like, how did he not know this bacteria existed? He acted like he had no clue what was going on and stated hed look in to what happened. Gave him a number to call of one of the guys here who researches it, and he never even called.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This has pretty big implications for austwickia spreading to many other species. Kenan seems to have dozens of species, and if he is selling tortoises with it at a reptile show and is generally not aware, he probably does not follow any bio security practices when handling different species. People should probably avoid buying any species from him unless or until he shows that he has gotten rid of it.

Cayleh

Sorrento, Fl
This has pretty big implications for austwickia spreading to many other species. Kenan seems to have dozens of species, and if he is selling tortoises with it at a reptile show and is generally not aware, he probably does not follow any bio security practices when handling different species. People should probably avoid buying any species from him unless or until he shows that he has gotten rid of it.
He had other babies too. Dont know which kind. But one guy while we were in line, bought 10 sulcata babies, and 2 or 3 of this other species. The possibility of it spreading to other breeders thanks to him being at the show as well, its astronomical. People don't proprrly wash hands between vendors at these shows.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This bacterial disease is everywhere now. Species lines are crossed. Its been documented in lots of snakes, lizards, and many tortoise species. It is hitting everyone now and there doesn't seem to be any logical explanation for where it is coming from or how it is spreading in some cases. Some cases can be obviously traced back to the origins, but now we are learning of cases since back in 2010 from Ivory sulcatas, which is where I first saw it in 2011. Its popping up everywhere. It appears we will be living with it for the foreseeable future.

It appears now that anyone keeping any type of reptile is being hit with it. Its bad, and its not clear what can be done about it. I'm not moving any animals on or of my ranch for the next year at least, and I won't be buying or taking in any new snakes, lizards or chelonians of any kind for the foreseeable future.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know the man and haven't watched much of his videos,but I've heard he mixes species.

Finding Austwickia in his group of baby sulcata might be a death sentence for his business.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So true.
Has this been documented in Redfoot tortoises?
I may stop taking in tortoises for a while