Kamp Kenan

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I always kind of hesitate to go into for example the herpes virus and other things like salmonella. I think a lot of us hesitate saying anything because of the newer people just joining. Other issues also can be like that too. I'm usually afraid I'll give a new tortoise parent the wrong idea so I don't. And I don't think I'm the only one that does that. 🤗
But it's more helpful for anyone new or not to know everything possible. I'd rather I or them know what we are getting into. Specially newbies who may not have a tortoise yet. It might help in their decision of what species or whether they even want to get a tortoise.
I wouldn't buy a breed of dog without knowing everything possible about the breed. I also would not want to get into a species of animal I'm not familiar with, without doing research. I'd rather scare someone with the truth then keep it from them. Then they can make a better informed decision.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
But it's more helpful for anyone new or not to know everything possible. I'd rather I or them know what we are getting into. Specially newbies who may not have a tortoise yet. It might help in their decision of what species or whether they even want to get a tortoise.
I wouldn't buy a breed of dog without knowing everything possible about the breed. I also would not want to get into a species of animal I'm not familiar with, without doing research. I'd rather scare someone with the truth then keep it from them. Then they can make a better informed decision.
Yes all that. But I usually wait for longtime members to answer just in case I don't say it right. I really appreciate, love and learn from their feedback. And especially since I still don't know how to share the links. I know I'm not the only one that does that. Sometimes I just try to offer support to let them know we are here. And the only real thing I can do is offer my little bit of experience.