Kane mat question.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
I've been curious about the temperature with these, too. I have mine on the floor of a doghouse with the rheostat set to low. On low it's 112 degrees F according to my infrared gun. The leopards seems to love it, but it always seemed to me that was too high. So, that is not too high of a temperature?

matchdog

Georgia
What size Kane mat do you guys use for adult sulcatas?
18 x 18 in.
18 x 18 in. w/Rheo
18 x 28 in.
18 x 28 in. w/Rheo
18 x 45 in.
18 x 57 in.
13.5 x 36 in.
13.5 x 48 in.
13.5 x 60 in.
27 x 36 in.
27 x 48 in.
27 x 60 in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just curious, what is the reason that you can not use substrate with the kane mat? If they have thermostats to prevent overheating, what damage could using substrate, cause?

Substrate has insulating properties that can cause hot spots. In the old days it could start a fire. Nowadays, it could cause the safety thermostat to kick in and shut down your mat. A living animal with circulating blood does not cause these hot spots.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I could tell you were serious in you inquiry and am interested in the responses. I wonder if substrate would make it less effective as a heat source? Would the substrate trap the heat below like a blanket? Could these be mounted on a side wall? I'm eager to see @Tom 's experiment with these, because I'd really like to try a different method of providing heat rather than using CHE s as I have been.

I have not found wall mounts to be effective with the Kane mats.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size Kane mat do you guys use for adult sulcatas?
18 x 18 in.
18 x 18 in. w/Rheo
18 x 28 in.
18 x 28 in. w/Rheo
18 x 45 in.
18 x 57 in.
13.5 x 36 in.
13.5 x 48 in.
13.5 x 60 in.
27 x 36 in.
27 x 48 in.
27 x 60 in.

I usually use the 18x28".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see...wow, prairie mom's "blanket trapping heat" idea was spot on..

Thanks Tom.

You are very welcome. I've talked at length with the owner and designer, Craig Kane, on the phone several times. He is a very nice guy, happy to help, and was able to explain the design and function of his products perfectly. I explained what we use them for and how we use them, and Craig was very careful to explain things the right way. Very generous with his time and knowledge, and a very smart man. His friendliness and easy going demeanor is typical of what I have seen in the DesMoines area, and just one reason why I would love to live there, if not for the frozen winters.

Prairie Mom

I see...wow, prairie mom's "blanket trapping heat" idea was spot on..

Thanks Tom.
On a very rare occasion the marbles circling around in my skull get lucky ;)

This was an interesting and helpful conversation. I'll be watching to see how members successfully use these.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I've been curious about the temperature with these, too. I have mine on the floor of a doghouse with the rheostat set to low. On low it's 112 degrees F according to my infrared gun. The leopards seems to love it, but it always seemed to me that was too high. So, that is not too high of a temperature?
What temperature should the mats be set at?