Keeping humidity up?

Freckles24

Location (City and/or State)
TN
I don't have an open/ table top enclosure but if I did, how would I keep the humidity up? Like many many people have open enclosure in their houses (I've been all over Pinterest looking at habitats) and it makes me wonder how they there humidity right.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have an open/ table top enclosure but if I did, how would I keep the humidity up? Like many many people have open enclosure in their houses (I've been all over Pinterest looking at habitats) and it makes me wonder how they there humidity right.

In most cases their humidity isn't right and they are operating under the mistaken idea that all tortoises need "desert" conditions.

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
Last weekend I tested an idea by drilling a multitude of tiny holes across the bottom of my plastic box enclosure.
I then placed the box over a large lid covered with water (bottom of the box stay a little elevated with rocks between the bottom and the lid, never in direct contact with the water).
After a few hrs, beads of condensation were visible at the bottom (not inside the box). It works, humidity levels go up. I guess the thing can be adjusted via amount of water and / or height between the bottom water-filled lid and the drilled box !
I would see this working fairly well with some sort of large tray / drawer below an actual table !

Anyway, turned out my box was too small for my torts, so I dumped the whole thing (torts not included) off the balcony.

holes.JPG

My wife did stop bugging me for a little while, I must have been onto something.

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London

I noticed since I added plants to my little guys enclosure the humidity during daytime went from always been at 50% to a stable 70%. I have 5 spider plants in there. I also have an enclosure enclosure tho. He is only a year old and the humidity is working wonders on his shell.