Keeping outdoors

smjohns

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
I am curious for the future when I keep my girl outside full time. I live in Arizona and it gets quite hot here so when she’s older will she be able to be kept outside full time? I know there’s way to make underground hides that keep cooler but I don’t want her to burn up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will need to provide a night box for those few cold days/nights you do get and shade for the hot days. Many will set up misting systems. I live in Chicago Illinois and I have a misting hose for those few really hot and humid days we get.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
You will need to provide a night box for those few cold days/nights you do get and shade for the hot days. Many will set up misting systems. I live in Chicago Illinois and I have a misting hose for those few really hot and humid days we get.
I'd be curious how you have that set up ( misting hose). Mind posting a pic?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's pretty hot in the summer here too, but my RF, YF and Manouria tortoises get along just fine in their "rainforest." Only dappled sun reaches the ground in their well planted yards. Down through the center of the yards I set tall T-posts in a line, then attached drip pipe at the top of the posts. Then I plugged in sprinkler-like drip emitters. The emitters send out a fine spray in a 5' circle. The shade, combined with the drip provides a very comfortable rainforest environment for my tortoises. It's hard to see because it's in the shade, but here's a picture of the T-posts/drip pipe:

Rain forest 6-11-15 a.jpg

Donny's MaMa

Arizona
I am curious for the future when I keep my girl outside full time. I live in Arizona and it gets quite hot here so when she’s older will she be able to be kept outside full time? I know there’s way to make underground hides that keep cooler but I don’t want her to burn up.
HI I am in Phoenix and my Donny will be 4 in few months. He has outgrown his space and will be moving him outside in a few weeks. I have some great ideas for his enclosure. But I am a lil stumped on a humid hide box. The space I have for him isn't close to an outside outlet for any lamps. He will have shade and plenty of Arizona hot sun during the summer while I work on his indoor winter space in my back room. i'd be interested to hear some ideas from a fellow Arizonian. caroline

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Start thinking shade trees now. Something your tortoise can eat is a bonus, fruitless Mulberry comes to mind. A nice big mud puddle also helps