Kiwi. M/F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
This is Kiwi. Here's a couple pics. Hopefully someone can ID her. Also, any guesses as to subspecies while we're at it? Her plastron is pitted and scarred, but hopefully you can still get a good id on her.

24pfg8w.jpg

if3bib.jpg

wgs3d3.jpg

Thanks!!!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Hi! She looks like some of my Northern red-foots. At this point all signs point female.

-Matt

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would say female also. Best wishes Douglas

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yuppers .... LQQKS to be a little gal! ;)

JD~:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I vote female so far, but my ' just at 7" 'possible female' ' developed into a full male in the last few months, so it might still just be a bit small.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Oh, I'm glad you all think it's a she. I noticed the other day that she'll sometimes hold her tail to the side and was worried that meant she was "becoming" a boy on me.

I know I'm not out of the woods yet though and that her sex could still "change". At what size is it safe to actually say your tort is for sure a girl and not just a late bloomer?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
PeanutbuttER said:
Oh, I'm glad you all think it's a she. I noticed the other day that she'll sometimes hold her tail to the side and was worried that meant she was "becoming" a boy on me.

I know I'm not out of the woods yet though and that her sex could still "change". At what size is it safe to actually say your tort is for sure a girl and not just a late bloomer?

A FOOT SCL!
36_2_35.gif

Sorry maybe not that big.. but since that tail wants to "curl" over toward the foot. I'm GUESSING male!

Did you tell us the SCL? That could help a lot. AND the concavity of the plastron is the last thing to show.

That's a Northern.. we know for sure.. impossible to know which part of the region - most likely Guyana/Suriname if WC.

NERD

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
yuppers .... LQQKS to be a little gal! ;)

The " rounded anal plastron scutes" is a dead give away !

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Redfoot NERD said:
Did you tell us the SCL? That could help a lot. AND the concavity of the plastron is the last thing to show.

That's a Northern.. we know for sure.. impossible to know which part of the region - most likely Guyana/Suriname if WC.

NERD

He/She (though the consensus seems to be she for now) is a bit over 6". Still feels like a bit small to tell to me but on another thread everyone was saying you can usually tell between 5 and 7 inches.

N2Torts - What do you mean by rounded? I know that females have the roughly 90 degree V-shaped anal scutes while males have the "wide open" V instead. Is that what you mean?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
PeanutbuttER said:
Redfoot NERD said:

NERD

He/She (though the consensus seems to be she for now) is a bit over 6". Still feels like a bit small to tell to me but on another thread everyone was saying you can usually tell between 5 and 7 inches.

N2Torts - What do you mean by rounded? I know that females have the roughly 90 degree V-shaped anal scutes while males have the "wide open" V instead. Is that what you mean?
Its not so easy as a " degree" . But if you look at the shape of the of both anal scutes... notice they have a curve to them ( not the ends.. the over all shape) .. " look bottom to top" ... that curved shape sorta rounded" ...more or less that is for guiding eggs in a gental downward slope ... when laying .. where as males have a wide open area .. for maxium exposer/penetration...
How you want to calculate in degrees ...Iam not sure ... and this is just my own " insite" ...and so far .. I have been 100%... well .. 1 sullie years back .. turned out to be male ..
Posting here is a great way to get different opinions ..
Everyone has different opinions and experiences ..but I think majority rules in this one ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.