Last 2011 BlackCherrys UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
These little guys had a ruff start.. but are doing O.K. now - I think they are "Dwarf's" .. I'm kidding.. I'm kidding!

They are small in comparison to their older sibling that Kristina has.. only 2 6/12" SCL :p - hatched early May 2011 - [ pics taken earlier this evening ] -

BlackCherryJAN2012.jpg

Sometimes ya get lucky with pics ( guy on the left ) -

BIGXchomp.jpg

He does have more colors.. although still dark for a Brazilian .carbonaria -

BIGXblackcherryRTH-1.jpg

How about the nose patterns? -

BIGXblackcherryRF.jpg

Then his sibling -

LiLBCLface.jpg

LiLBCLF.jpg

And then sometimes ya get really lucky -

BIGXandLilBCchomp.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
In case anyone was wondering - this is the mother of Kristina's and my "BlackCherrys" - a few hours after their pics tonight -

1st11812NEST.jpg

She has been scratching around in the main enclosure for going on 2 weeks now.. but would not 'nest' in the "nestbox"! So I scraped off all of the cypress mulch off of the 'nesting-dirt' and replaced it with mulch from the main enclosure... I think it had to do with the 'odor' from the others that have nested before her.

You wouldn't think a "Brazilian" with yellows and oranges like hers would create the 'black' like she has - her nesting "trance/focus" -

11812Trance.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It seems you ALWAYS get lucky with your pictures, NERD. They are the best! I'm glad to see you here.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
It seems you ALWAYS get lucky with your pictures, NERD. They are the best! I'm glad to see you here.

Thanks kiddo.. I thought of you immediately.. when I saw that pic!

Thanks again!!!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hey Terry Nice pics You always make me realize I need a better camera This is Ed

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice Terry......Gotta luv them oddballs!

JD~:)

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
pics are awesome Terry, cant wait to see what the spring has to offer

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Redfoot NERD said:
In case anyone was wondering - this is the mother of Kristina's and my "BlackCherrys" - a few hours after their pics tonight -

1st11812NEST.jpg

She has been scratching around in the main enclosure for going on 2 weeks now.. but would not 'nest' in the "nestbox"! So I scraped off all of the cypress mulch off of the 'nesting-dirt' and replaced it with mulch from the main enclosure... I think it had to do with the 'odor' from the others that have nested before her.

You wouldn't think a "Brazilian" with yellows and oranges like hers would create the 'black' like she has - her nesting "trance/focus" -

11812Trance.jpg

Thanks all .. when you take as many pics as I do ya get lucky some times.

She finally finished after an hour and a half of digging - which is quick compared to some species - end results -

BR11812clutch.jpg

I'm wondering if the 'calcified' egg is because it stayed in her too long.. any ideas anyone?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Very nice torts and pictures are amazing. What camera are you using? also are you using a mutishot/burst mode to get those open mouth shots like that?? Im impressed!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
SulcataSquirt said:
Very nice torts and pictures are amazing. What camera are you using? also are you using a mutishot/burst mode to get those open mouth shots like that?? Im impressed!

Thank you! No I just take a zillion pics and sometimes my timing is good.

You might like one of these.. my Indian Stars -

StarBIGBite.jpg

BigGIRL.jpg

K. erosa ( forest hingeback ) -

TIOOrangeHeadMKe.jpg

622MKeRFC.jpg

How 'bout this hummingbird -

1H2-1.jpg

Just this old "point-and-shoot" - http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dsch20

It also does this - turn up speakers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XdGSFqFCno

Jackrat uses the same one.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So I have to ask is the black cherry head a color morph? is it a recessive gene? do you know if this color occurs in nature?

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Going out on a limb here Terry, but im
Guessing that "calcified" egg is a Black Cherry.. Just a guess

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
they are very beautiful...is this something you girl just surprised you with or was this something you were aiming for? I know very little about cherryheads so I have no idea if Black is an established morph

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
ShadowRancher said:
they are very beautiful...is this something you girl just surprised you with or was this something you were aiming for? I know very little about cherryheads so I have no idea if Black is an established morph

First of all [ generally speaking ] 'cherryheads' are nothing more than a redfoot from Brazil.. at least haven't been classified otherwise as of yet. Maybe should be.. very similar yet distinct differences!

I'm about to find out if this pair does in fact produce the black "morph". These eggs are going to hatch sooner or later -

BR91211Eggs.jpg

This pair has produced no other "morph" than the ones Kristina and I have shown!

Others produced -

This one might be Kristina's..

1TINYCherryONE.jpg

One of the first of only 5-6 that have hatched -

1BlackCHERRY710RC.jpg

Probly the first to show the dark colors - see the lack of red scales on the legs.. ( same female as all "black" ) -

aBRFace4.jpg

a130RC.jpg

The above could very well have had "Northern" blood in him [ another story/mistake that was fixed the summer of '08 ] .. with this plastron that indicates there was "Brazilian" blood in the mix -

a130YOLK.jpg

The first ones to hatch in 2011 - subjects of this thread -

AlmostCR.jpg

110910BRPip1OUT.jpg

Took over 6 MONTHS to PIP! - date on egg was laid-date.. 5/25/11 was pip-date -

a110910BRPip1.jpg

And both had an enormous yolk sac.. shown here AFTER absorbing for almost 2 weeks -

525BRCRR.jpg

To my knowledge a black Brazilian is rare or not found in the wild.

Everyone keep in mind.. there are always exceptions and extremes.. most often they are RARE!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Wow, thank you for the explanation. I didn't think I really liked RFs or cherry heads that much but these guys are just stunning. I can't believe they took 6 months to pip, could the extended incubation have something to do with the color? Like they just keep producing pigments that whole time and come out really dark. Whatever it is they are really great.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Redfoot NERD said:
This one might be Kristina's..

1TINYCherryONE.jpg

Yup, that is mine :)

LiLBCLface.jpg

I think that this one looks so much like the one I have, that they should be a set, right? LOL....

Status
Not open for further replies.