Leapard Tortoise Eye Issue

Rio&ZimZim

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hey! I was hoping this group could help me out. From reading elsewhere on here, I think ZimZim has a third eyelid issues. Can anyone confirm this? I've done the Carrot soak for 3 days. He is still eating, but isn't a good pooper. He maybe goes once every 3 days. I have seen him go in the water in their enclosure and I soak them at least once a day in dechlorinated water. He is only about 3 months old. Anything else I can do to help him?

Attachments

• 20240803_174518.jpg
    20240803_174518.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240803_190515.jpg
    20240803_190515.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240803_190457.jpg
    20240803_190457.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Can you post a picture of the enclosure please? Also what are the temperatures and size? How many tortoises are in the same enclosure? Tortoises should NOT be in pairs. He is probably getting bullied by the other one.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!

Some more information on how you’re keeping them will definitely be helpful

What’s are your temperatures? Ie basking temp(directly under the bulb) overall day temp? Night temp?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using? Packaging photos are good if you have any
What kind of indoor uv?
What’s your humidity levels? And what are you using for substrate? The hay isn’t an ideal choice

A photo of your full set up would be great along with any answers to those questions🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Can you post a picture of the enclosure please? Also what are the temperatures and size? How many tortoises are in the same enclosure? Tortoises should NOT be in pairs. He is probably getting bullied by the other one.
I didn’t see them mention they have multiple in the same enclosure?

_The_Beast_

Canada
Agree with what folks have already said. The eye does look like it's irritated but without information about lighting, substrate, temps, and humidity it's impossible to pinpoint possible causes and next steps.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hey! I was hoping this group could help me out. From reading elsewhere on here, I think ZimZim has a third eyelid issues. Can anyone confirm this? I've done the Carrot soak for 3 days. He is still eating, but isn't a good pooper. He maybe goes once every 3 days. I have seen him go in the water in their enclosure and I soak them at least once a day in dechlorinated water. He is only about 3 months old. Anything else I can do to help him?
Get some Neo-Poly-Dex Veterinary Ophthalmic Drops (Neomycin, Dexamethasone and Polymyxin-B Sulfate) and put a drop into the affected eye(s) twice a day for about 10 days. You need a prescription from a vet to get them, though.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it just one eye? This is often the result of a housing problem. The usual advice on how to house them from almost all sources is wrong. If you correct the husbandry issue, the problem should resolve itself. Here is the correct housing and care info:

Look for the leopard tortoise care sheet near the bottom of this thread and questions are welcome.