LED UVB

LNJ

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Can you kind folks recommend some screw in UVB LED bulbs that are acceptable?
Not looking for the hood kind which I already own. Just looking for the E26/27 type and preferably something available in Canada or on Amazon.

Thank you kindly!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If you already have a t5 tube fluorescent uvb bulb, you don’t need a screw in one, the screw in compact uv bulbs aren’t appropriate anyway🙂

Were you looking for some ambient lighting options or a basking light?

What kind of tortoise do you have? Baby or adult?😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally agree, another one isn't needed and the tube fluorescent are the only safe and appropriate ones.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Can you kind folks recommend some screw in UVB LED bulbs that are acceptable?
Not looking for the hood kind which I already own. Just looking for the E26/27 type and preferably something available in Canada or on Amazon.

Thank you kindly!
Perhaps, only ZooMed Reptisun UVB/LED, 9 W fits. However, keep in mind that it's a powerful source of UV and should be installed at proper distance (ideally, checked with a Solarmeter). Also, at the moment UVB LEDs have some problems with output spectrum and correct regulation of D3 synthesis (in theory, under UVB/LED animal can get D3 overdose).

I would not trust cheap chinese lamps. There are real health risks when using these. E.g. https://tomaskas.co.uk/lamp-report-vivtech-uvb-led-lamps/

Reactions: LNJ

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Horsefield but I want to try the screw in ones in a couple of areas in my enclosure.
There are a couple on Amazon which I may try if someone has positive experiences with them.
These ones:
With your t5 bulb these honestly aren’t necessary and could pose some potential problems. If you’re looking for more lighting in your enclosure, regular LED’s are fine🙂

Feel free to check out this thread on indoor housing for Russians, I go over lighting&heating, as well as the uv, levels, sizing ect. There’s a really handy diet link in there too

LNJ

Canada
Perhaps, only ZooMed Reptisun UVB/LED, 9 W fits. However, keep in mind that it's a powerful source of UV and should be installed at proper distance (ideally, checked with a Solarmeter). Also, at the moment UVB LEDs have some problems with output spectrum and correct regulation of D3 synthesis (in theory, under UVB/LED animal can get D3 overdose).

I would not trust cheap chinese lamps. There are real health risks when using these. E.g. https://tomaskas.co.uk/lamp-report-vivtech-uvb-led-lamps/
Thanks for the study.

LNJ

Canada
With your t5 bulb these honestly aren’t necessary and could pose some potential problems. If you’re looking for more lighting in your enclosure, regular LED’s are fine🙂

Feel free to check out this thread on indoor housing for Russians, I go over lighting&heating, as well as the uv, levels, sizing ect. There’s a really handy diet link in there too
I guess what I am trying to do is create smaller areas of "sunlight" in different areas of the enclosure. Rather than a wider spread of light with the T5 style kits.
Just trying to be creative and have UVB bulbs as the light source instead of just ambient lighting.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
I guess what I am trying to do is create smaller areas of "sunlight" in different areas of the enclosure. Rather than a wider spread of light with the T5 style kits.
Just trying to be creative and have UVB bulbs as the light source instead of just ambient lighting.
That's a cool idea. Actually T5 tubes fit there as well - there are short versions of ZooMed Reptisun T5. And a "rare beast" Arcadia UV Flood. Coupled with flood incandescent basking lamps you can create "sunpatches".

Other option is to have a long T5 tube spanning over the enclosure and work with elevations and shading.

Can you share enclosure photos and size?

LNJ

Canada
That's a cool idea. Actually T5 tubes fit there as well - there are short versions of ZooMed Reptisun T5. And a "rare beast" Arcadia UV Flood. Coupled with flood incandescent basking lamps you can create "sunpatches".

Other option is to have a long T5 tube spanning over the enclosure and work with elevations and shading.

Can you share enclosure photos and size?
Are you referring to this: https://www.reptilesrus.ca/arcadia-solar-basking-floodlight-50w/
I have a 75w version but no real mention of UVB though!

Another thing to note is that I'm not creating a canopy otherwise the T5 would work.
The enclosure is nothing special at the moment. Just a 2x4. He just turned a year old. Had him since he was a hatchling. Egg tooth and all.

Last edited:

tempest979

NY

LNJ

Canada
Wow why on earth are the ones you linked so expensive. Those are pretty generic made Chinese LED UVB bulbs, they run about $6 on Aliexpress, just FYI.
I limited myself to Amazon. So I can return if they are crap.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Any of the "screw-in" type uvb bulbs have issues. Some blind tortoises. None are good at producing or providing a good uvb distribution.
Because of the many issues associated with this type of uvb and or uva, CFL, MVB, LED, MICRO, SPOT, ETC. We just reccomend to not spend the money.
In fact, just the "screw-in" description is enough for a NO.
Screw in heat lamps? Sure. Screw in flood lights for light and warmth only? Usually yes. Screw in CHE for day and night heat? Yes.
The many types screw in uvb that most pet shops have and sell seem helpful and handy, but they will be money wasted at best. And downright harmful at worst. And the worst part is you might not know for months.
Please take the advice.
I myself have a box in my garage full of different types of uvb and uva bulbs. Different types. All screw in. Probably at least $400 worth. They are reminders. Painful ones.
We live and we learn. Then we attempt to help others from our successes as well as our mistakes.

Last edited: