Leo Died

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Leo died. Just found him.
2% f*** captive mortality rate among tortoises in first year of acquisition.
100% for me two tortoises, I did every f* thing perfect, just like the vet and the forums and the books and the research and research and research said.
Thank you all on the forum for all that you have done, I will always remember the wonderful people I encountered here.
I don't think I'll be getting another tortoise, my capacity for feeling towards an animal...shattered it seems, well se how I feel in the morning, I suppose.
Have you ever heard the pink Floyd song Comfortably Numb?
Not as if anybody gives a s**, wasn't even an "active member."
Sorry for the swearing. I know its against policy, and I don't usually swear. Take this post down. I don't care.
So long and thanks for all the fish,
Sydney

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Bagley

Michigan
2% ******* captive mortality rate among tortoises in first year of acquisition.
100% for me two tortoises, I did every ******* thing perfect, just like the vet and the forums and the books and the research and research and research said.
Thank you all on the forum for all that you have done, I will always remember the wonderful people I encountered here.
I don't think I'll be getting another tortoise, my capacity for feeling towards an animal...shattered it seems, well se how I feel in the morning, I suppose.
Not as if anybody gives a ****, wasn't even an "active member."
Sorry for the swearing. I know its against policy, and I don't usually swear. Take this post down. I don't care.
Sydney
Very sorry for your loss, it is never easy. I wish I could offer you more words of comfort, but I have never been good in these situations.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm so very sorry! I can't imagine how angry and frustrated you must feel. But please know that we do care. I hope that after you grieve, armed with your knowledge and advice from this forum, you will once again get a tortoise. There's one out there that needs you.

lacrime

5 Year Member
I’m so very sorry to hear about your loss. I don’t even know what else to say, I know how loss feels. Just please know that people care.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That’s terrible!
Are you entirely sure that he’s dead? Sometimes we hear stories of tortoises who were entirely motionless and looked dead, only to comeback the next day. I might leave him in his enclosure with heat for another 24 hours, and maybe soak him in warm water once. If he’s stiff, then he’s already gone.
I’m very sorry for your loss :(

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Yikes. Sorry to hear, it hurts. For many, the first reaction is to give up. I was was there too once.

Then I learned that the method (dry vs humid starts) a breeder starts the hatchlings off usually dictates these outcomes, even when proper care is given.

How long did you have him for and do you know if the breeder kept them humid with regular soaks?

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
100% for me two tortoises, I did every f* thing perfect, just like the vet and the forums and the books and the research and research and research said.
Sydney

So sorry you have to go through this! I was devastated when I lost Hercules after doing everything right. RIP Leo.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sydney
It's always hard when you lose a tortoise.
What where the circumstances of the death?

Bambam1989

East Texas
So sorry for your loss.
Perhaps in time you will decide to get another tort, or perhaps some other animal.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I share your pain. I loss my russian tort sierra. She was an amazing lil animal and full of energy. I woke up to soak her and she was lifeless. I too did everything right and corrected things I learned from the good folks forum. My advice, take a few days to process. Do not ever give up this passion. These animals are amazing and can teach us a few things on how they live. Your tort is out there. Time will heal your wounds. I am truly sorry.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
I know the feeling. I lost my two leos and was so angry and sad and all that. Now I have to wonderful redfoots, but when I look at the pictures of the leos I just want to hurt the breeder and cry.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Swearing is okay, the loss of pets affects you, and swearing is okay. The few folks who say they've never lost a tortoise are ones who have not had them much, in numbers or time. I don't know if anything anyone can say will reduce the stress of the situation. Despite even best care some are just not 'doers' and it may or may not be associated with early life husbandry before you got them. Then again it may very well be that, and they did live longer with your care, than would have otherwise been the case. Give yourself some time.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am very sorry he hid not make it. Take your time to recover and don't blame yourself.
Thank you for caring so much!

Susan Stewart

UK
So sorry to hear your sad news. I've been there too and lost a very much loved leopard tortoise. It took me years before I could bring myself to own and care for another. I have two now and a Sulcata and all are doing well. I hope time heals your pain and doesn't put you off.

urvashi

Sydney