Leopard Tortoise Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
so, i asked a friend of mine about the tortoise his family has just to see how its doing and to find out if its in good health..i havent been there since before i got into tortoises and learned so much about them from this amazing forum. that being said, im going over there tomorrow to hang out which is when im going to check on him/her. theres a possibility that if he/she is not in good health that i may end up keeping it, and i was wondering if this site is accurate http://africantortoise.com/leopard_tortoise.htm

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have a pretty good care sheet right here on the forum:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-63792.html

Most of what you read on the site you linked is ok, except for the fact that they are still using the old way to raise babies. The new way is to keep them moist and humid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Yvonne. Toms threads on raising smooth healthy leopards and sulcatas are at the bottom of my post. The sulcata care is the same for a leopard.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
oh i didnt even check that section as its a good-size tortoise already. but thanks you two, mainly just need to make sure the plants were correct and the general care stuff.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he is a larger tortoise, 2 plus years or 8+ inches, then he should be provided with a humid hide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with most of what's on that page. I do think weeds, leaves and succulents should be featured more in the diet for the babcocki subspecies, and they don't really say to have water available all the time in an appropriate dish, but you ought to. Depending on your climate and current weather, regular soaks are a good idea too. I like once or twice a week for adults.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i live in Peoria, AZ. and i know Tom. fingers crossed that the tortoise is healthy and well-taken care of. i dont want to have to take it for that reason.

Chive On!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
a quick update..upon checking the tortoise, he (i think is the sex) is in rough shape. hes roughy six years old, badly pyramided, bottom of his shell is flexible/can feel it going in as i picked him up, feels underweight (or at least not what i would expect him to weigh being that hes approximately 8 inches or so. he is housed in a rubbermaid tub, no water, fed romaine lettuce all the time, "his "substrate" is rabbit pellets (didnt see or hear anything wrong with his nostrils or breathing). they were upset/worried/sorry because of how wrong the info given to them by the pet store was. i listed what they needed to do (soaks, gave them a link to a website with all the edible plants, adding the proper water dish, substrate change, adding the hide and humidity needs..they were okay with this and are going to the store tomorrow. they did say that when the actual owner gets back from vacation they will let him know and if he cant/doesnt want to maintain the necessary care then he would either sell it or pass him to me.

Chive On!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Sounds also like total lack of UVB and calcium combination, given the soft plastron. Hope you mentioned that. I hope you end up with the tort.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i knew i was forgetting something, yeah i told them that. i told them they needed calcium supplementation twice a week, phosphorous free.

Chive On!

and thanks, i do too. Squirt was cute, but sad and i felt terrible. knowing how he is, he may end up giving it to me. i hope he doesnt ask for money, i have none of that sweet stuff.

Chive On!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Calcium is good, but with out UV its useless to the tortoise. It needs sunshine and lots of it. The pet store will probably sell them a a coil type UV bulb. Make sure they know not to use that as it can burn the tortoises eyes. The pet store will also probably sell them a big $30 ramped death trap water bowl. Also a no go. Tell them to get a 10-12" terra cotta plant saucer at the hardware store. Also, there is no tub big enough to house an 8" leopard. They really need to make him an outside pen or build something large for indoors.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
brought him (or so i think its a he) home a little while ago. we got the materials for his night-time retire earlier today. it will be put together tomorrow. he has enough strength to hold himself up and walk around surprisingly. i will see if i notice anything out of whack, and will post pictures.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378078713.905925.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378078729.598252.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378078752.457594.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378078765.733946.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378078780.888094.jpg

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

so i think hes a male, beak needs trimmed (?), soaks, enclosure is in the process of being made, will be fed the proper diet and calcium supplemented with lots of time outside to soak and roam around. any suggestions or comments? would greatly appreciate the help.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

http://youtu.be/E2f9W5YYzy0
a link to a video of his breathing, it only happens when hes scared (i think)

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

Last edited by a moderator:

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Team Gomberg said:
Can he live outside full time? I bet he'd like that :D

Sent from my TFOapp

i REALLY wish i could manage that, but i live with my girlfriend and her parents (im 16), and they have a pool, and theres four dogs, and 2 cats. all of which are dangerous. i could make a place for him that would keep all these out, but the other issue being theres really no room for anything. to make up for this until i can figure something out, i take my two out front and let them roam the yard. which is cool because neighbors will stop and admire them. haha

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

Irwin4530 said:
Skinny little legs :(
So happy he is with you now!

i know, i hate to look at him knowing he was miserable for six whole years.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Look at that poor thing. The video shows some hard labor breathing.
Hopefully you rescued him just in time. No pesticide, fertilizers or other chemicals on the front lawn right?

Kudos to you for saving him.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.