Leopard Tortoise Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
mikeh said:
Look at that poor thing. The video shows some hard labor breathing.
Hopefully you rescued him just in time. No pesticide, fertilizers or other chemicals on the front lawn right?

Kudos to you for saving him.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

yeah thats what i figured. nope, none of that.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
His beak looks bad. Soaks, sunshine, calcium, varied diet, and plenty love hopefully will help him out. I would take him to a vet for an exam. There are vets that treat tortoises.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
yeah i need to take him in to have them check out that breathing issue of his, then have them trim his beak as im not really comfortable doing it, and see if there are any underlying issues. i really hope he pulls through.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Aw, poor guy! [BROKEN HEART] He's got such beautiful colours! So good of you to rescue him. You're my hero of the week! :) looking forward for IG posts.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

mikeh

5 Year Member
Keep us updated on vets visit.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
mikeh said:
Keep us updated on vets visit.

dont know when that will be. thats why ive been waiting on someone to comment something to help me out in the meantime

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Leopard Tortoise Care

Hallbomber said:
His beak looks bad. Soaks, sunshine, calcium, varied diet, and plenty love hopefully will help him out. I would take him to a vet for an exam. There are vets that treat tortoises.

Plus this tort is prob deficient in other minerals. Would benefit from full spectrum mineral supplement. Calcium being most needed, obviously.

What are updates on him? What are you feeding him, how is the appetite? How much is he out doors now? how is he housed indoors? How active is he?

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
mikeh said:
Hallbomber said:

Plus this tort is prob deficient in other minerals. Would benefit from full spectrum mineral supplement. Calcium being most needed, obviously.

What are updates on him? What are you feeding him, how is the appetite? How much is he out doors now? how is he housed indoors? How active is he?

hes getting a mix of collards, mustard greens, cactus pad, and the pellets broke down by water. not eating very well. hes outside for a couple hours a day. for now hes being housed in the rubbermaid tub he came in (cleaned out), and the 6'X3' enclosure for night time will be done tomorrow i think. i will be putting up a quick enclosure for him to hang out in during the day.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

hes pretty active, and walks around quite a bit.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Easy with too much collard greens, mustard, kale and spinach. In high quantities these prevent absorbing of calcium.

Also try endive, young dandelion, plantain weeds, clover, reddish greens, grape leaves (any kind), arigulla.

Get mazzuri or zoomed tortoise food.

Its good that he is active. Post pics of his enclosure when done. You are doing good.

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
Happy for you! That tort needs some tlc :) I live in Southern California so my 6 month old sees a lot of sunshine. When he is in his pen and especially at night, we have a red heat lamp on him. When summer is over we will get a UVB bulb for the daytime. With that and the calcium, he is growing very healthily :)

Another quick note: my baby had a RI and he has runny nose syndrome (RNS) and I learned that it could be caused by being in cold damp areas. Sometimes Herb likes to cuddle up in the dirt under our palm tree so I do my best to keep him away from there. It's kind of like a person catching a cold from going outside wih wet hair in cold weather. Keep him nice and warm :)

mikeh

5 Year Member
I noticed you live in AZ and read Toms thread. I believe that thread of very high humidity is for hatchling and young juvenile. If you are trying to increase humidity in his environment, that's great. I wouldn't do it too drastically though,(putting him in 90% humidity overnight from single digits) especially given his breathing seems abnormal. Think gradually is a way to go. Feel free to soak him.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
mikeh said:
I noticed you live in AZ and read Toms thread. I believe that thread of very high humidity is for hatchling and young juvenile. If you are trying to increase humidity in his environment, that's great. I wouldn't do it too drastically though,(putting him in 90% humidity overnight from single digits) especially given his breathing seems abnormal. Think gradually is a way to go. Feel free to soak him.

i do, and have. yeah thats the plan. will eventually have him in about 70% give or take. hes currently being soaked two or three times a day.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379614460.343793.jpg my leopard circa 6 yrs.

Last edited by a moderator:

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Many thanks, I have just changed his diet (due to minor weight loss) from spring greens mixed with Timothy hay to just plenty of weeds, grasses and Timothy hay, has gained 0.3 kilo in a month. Very happy!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Nate, what's the update on you leopard rescue?

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
hes doing better, a lot more active and has been gaining a personality. of course, him being a beautiful Leopard, hes what some would call 'sexy and he knows it'. haha

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Just a quick qn, what does everyone use as substrate for housing adult leopard tortoise in a viv? I've heard a 50/50 mix of play sand and loam based soil works best, however I'm concerned that this may create a too humid atmosphere? I have a 4ft by 4ft viv. With adequate heating etc. thanks

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
that is WAY too small for an adult Leopard..and sand is never suggested. coco coir or cypress mulch are okay. humidity is good, a Leopards natural habitat is humid.

0.1.0 Russian
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

Status
Not open for further replies.