Leopard Tortoise growth help?

Jlinnenkamp20

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello all! I have a leopard tortoise that is around 4 months old and he has remained the same size since I bought him in September. He is in a 3 foot by 18 inch terrarium with Timothy hay substrate. his basking end is usually in the 95-100 Fahrenheit (35-37.7 Celsius) range and his cool end is 75-80 Fahrenheit (23.9-26.6 Celsius) range. I feed him daily on a range of items such as hibiscus flowers, clovers, cactus, other greens but I have not given him fruit and I have rarely given him pelleted tortoise diets like Mazuri. I bathe him every other day in Luke warm water for around 30 minutes. He is active, curious, and bright eyed. I was wondering if he is not growing because of something I'm doing or if I just need to give him a little time. He was 2.5in (6.35cm) when I got him and he is still the same size. Any suggestions or comments help! thanks!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Jlinnenkamp20

Arizona
Welcome to the Forum.

Take a read of this care sheet - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

From a quick look at your info. Id say your enclosure is too small, you need to remove the hay and swap it with some orchid bark/coir/cypress substrate, make sure overall humidity levels and temps are spot on (In Care Sheet).

Good luck, and upload some pix of your tort and enclosure.

Happy Torting
Thanks for the help! I should have also mentioned that he has a 6x4ft outdoor planted enclosure I put him in when the weather allows it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good advice from Mark above.

I'd add that most breeders don't start leopard tortoises correctly and one of the tell tale symptoms is lack of growth. Hope this is not the case for yours. Get a digital scale and track the growth weekly. Once you get over 50 grams with steady growth, you can rest a little easier.

I'd start soaking daily, change out the substrate, add a humid hide, keep it warmer (Not below 80 day or night), and feed the Mazuri 2 or 3 rimes a week.

Questions and conversation are welcome.