Leopard Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wichita, Kansas
Hey everyone,

I finally got my camera back so here are those pictures I promised. I think it's a female but your opinions would be much appreciated. Also on the two close up pictures I can see a light black circle in the middle of the shell. It looks slightly lighter than the dark marks on the rest of the shell. I'm probablly being paranoid but I'm concered it might be somthing. So your advice on this would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks Again
Bronson

mjvdhj.jpg

zv635g.jpg

2i6oshs.jpg

2eusl6s.jpg

21kjjiw.jpg

jfcj6t.jpg

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
Sorry I forgot to also ask can anyone approximate the age? And does he or she look healthy?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Gorgeous Leopard!! Where did you get her from?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The shell looks 100% percent normal and healthy to me. You've done a good job of minimizing the pyramiding that is so common to leopards.

Its still too early to tell, and I'm not as good at sexing leopards as I am sulcatas, but my GUESS for now is male. Age is impossible to tell by size. I would guess 1-2 years, but I could be off in either direction. A size reference in the pic would help too. Like a quarter or a soda can.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Too small for me to tell sex. I would guess it's a two year old. How big is it? Looks about 3 1/2" to 4" in the pic to me. The spot is probably just a little stain from something.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
I got "her" at a pet store in Derby Kansas. I'd say the name but I didn't know if that was brakeing a rule or something I'm still fairly new. That's a relief. I was very worried that shell rot or something. Here's a picture for size referemce. Like many people to me it was unheard of to provide moisture for a leopard tortoise but after reading many threads it's starting to sound stupid not to. Should I provided a humid box or spray her down or anything? I to think the pyrimiding is very minimal and would like to keep it that way.

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses.
Bronson

2j3fxfr.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Don't know what to tell you about the spot...how long have you noticed it?

It's looking more like a male, but even as full grown adult leopards some are difficult to tell. Probably 3 - 5 years old.

Read some of the threads on this forum related to spraying and humid boxes. I'll add that you should soak her frequently too, once every other day or so.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
I just started to notice it maybe a week or two ago. I try to soak her every few days.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing... But aren't those spots, in the center of the scutes, just his fading baby pattern? ;)

In any case, what a beautiful tort!! Thanks for sharing!

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
Sorry I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I tried to take a better picture but I just can't seem to capture it really well. Here's a picture with the spot I was talking about circled in green.

Thanks everybody,
Bronson

fnv3hg.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh yes. I see what you are talking about now. Almost looks like a bruise. It doesn't mean anything to me, but this will bump your thread back up and maybe somebody else will have seen something like this before.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
Thank you. I just recently noticed another extremely similar mark on the opposite end of the carapace towards the rear. In the exact same place seems a little weird so I'm starting to think they are just marks from growing but I will keep searching until I find a definate answer.

Thanks again,
Bronson

Status
Not open for further replies.