LETS SEE WHAT YOU GROW

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Someone asked me to post pictures of my garden and some of the stuff that I grow. I dont grow anything to fancy, just the normal garden stuff mainly for my tortoises to eat. If you would like to post pictures of whatever you grow such as fruits, veggies, cactus, succulents,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Feel free to post whatever you want. Im going to start it out with a couple pics because I need to take more pictures when the sun goes down a bit. Its 90+ degrees here today and to bright to take good pics right now. I know some of the members are buried in snow right now and havent got a chance to get started gardening. The first picture is of some yellow Zuccini that has already reached 12 inches

bigred said:
Someone asked me to post pictures of my garden and some of the stuff that I grow. I dont grow anything to fancy, just the normal garden stuff mainly for my tortoises to eat. If you would like to post pictures of whatever you grow such as fruits, veggies, cactus, succulents,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Feel free to post whatever you want. Im going to start it out with a couple pics because I need to take more pictures when the sun goes down a bit. Its 90+ degrees here today and to bright to take good pics right now. I know some of the members are buried in snow right now and havent got a chance to get started gardening. The first picture is of some yellow Zuccini that has already reached 12 inches

Cucumbers

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don' t grow veggies and such---here the gophers demolish anything that is not native...so I simply put the sprinkler out where I want growth of natural vegetation and filaree, bunch grass, apricot mallow, black medic, coyote mint, primrose and the like will pop up...and these munch spots are supplemented by trips to the health store for organic lettuces, mushroom, veggies and some fruit for the redfoot torts... :D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
N2TORTS said:
Hummm........:p:D:rolleyes:

Get your mind out of the gutter:D

ascott said:
I don' t grow veggies and such---here the gophers demolish anything that is not native...so I simply put the sprinkler out where I want growth of natural vegetation and filaree, bunch grass, apricot mallow, black medic, coyote mint, primrose and the like will pop up...and these munch spots are supplemented by trips to the health store for organic lettuces, mushroom, veggies and some fruit for the redfoot torts... :D

I guess Im going to have to drop a couple more wild cats at your house to take care of them gophers

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
LOL .....Heck I was just trying to put together a list ...;)

<heh>:D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
These are the grape vines that have really taken off in the last couple months. They are a great food source and good shade and shelter for the redfoots corner

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
My herbs and flowers are looking really sad. It's been in the 60's-70's and rainy so I didn't have to water for a while. Then last 2 days have been 89 degrees and I didn't have time to water so they've wilted. Today is back to 70, so hopefully the not as hot and watering helps them not die..

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
20130508_153623.jpg20130508_153726.jpg

Yeah, I went overboard just a bit. Doesn't help that there are 1000-5000 seeds in a packet. TerryO said she thought she was a plant hoarder and had a good laugh at my pics. I haven't even included pics of the garden beds or the kitchen window sill. All go to a good cause: my torts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Having plant envy. To tell you where we are in the season this week the mulberry trees and the grape leaves finally started opening up. With still having frost nights, tomatoes and peppers for example are still living under plastic domes from milk, pop, ect.., Squashes and cucs are still seed stage. Give me a couple of weks to catch up. :D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I grow squash (for the leaves), nasturtiums, hibiscus, prickly pear, Christmas cactus and aloe Vera. My yard is so trashed out with weeds I'm too embarrassed (and lazy) to put up photos! Even before I got my tortoise I already had tort-friendly plants just by happy coincidence: asparagus fern, Boston fern, Swedish ivy, petunias and Antique roses. Of all the plants I have, her current favorite is a weed: sow thistle, which I cannot take credit for planting- it just volunteered, but I'm saving seed for the winter. Sow thistle, BTW, I found out is edible for humans, but haven't tasted it yet!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
thatrebecca said:
That grapevine looks great! Was it hard to get started?

The vine has been here for several years and has really taken off this year. Not hard at all

pfara said:
Yeah, I went overboard just a bit. Doesn't help that there are 1000-5000 seeds in a packet. TerryO said she thought she was a plant hoarder and had a good laugh at my pics. I haven't even included pics of the garden beds or the kitchen window sill. All go to a good cause: my torts!

Very nice,,,lots of tort food. Thats why I grow most of my stuff

Jacqui said:
Having plant envy. To tell you where we are in the season this week the mulberry trees and the grape leaves finally started opening up. With still having frost nights, tomatoes and peppers for example are still living under plastic domes from milk, pop, ect.., Squashes and cucs are still seed stage. Give me a couple of weks to catch up. :D

OK OK you will catch up very soon Im sure

Moozilion said:
I grow squash (for the leaves), nasturtiums, hibiscus, prickly pear, Christmas cactus and aloe Vera. My yard is so trashed out with weeds I'm too embarrassed (and lazy) to put up photos! Even before I got my tortoise I already had tort-friendly plants just by happy coincidence: asparagus fern, Boston fern, Swedish ivy, petunias and Antique roses. Of all the plants I have, her current favorite is a weed: sow thistle, which I cannot take credit for planting- it just volunteered, but I'm saving seed for the winter. Sow thistle, BTW, I found out is edible for humans, but haven't tasted it yet!

My yard has some pretty high weeds to, my excuse for that is that the torts like to hide in it

Some pumkin, got a couple little pumkins

bigred said:
thatrebecca said:
That grapevine looks great! Was it hard to get started?

The vine has been here for several years and has really taken off this year. Not hard at all

pfara said:

Very nice,,,lots of tort food. Thats why I grow most of my stuff

Jacqui said:

OK OK you will catch up very soon Im sure

Moozilion said:

My yard has some pretty high weeds to, my excuse for that is that the torts like to hide in it

Some pumkin, got a couple little pumkins

Sorry pumpkin has another p in it

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
My husband has the green thumb in this house. Better question is what is he not growing?

2013 001.JPG
tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, peppers, corn, artichoke, squash, squash and more squash.

2013 002.JPG
and more tomatoes, herbs and succulents.

I love this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
littlestella said:
My husband has the green thumb in this house. Better question is what is he not growing?

tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, peppers, corn, artichoke, squash, squash and more squash.

and more tomatoes, herbs and succulents.

I love this time of year.

Very nice, I see you guys have corn. I grew corn a few years ago and it was alot of fun. Tell hubby nice work, you should have some good tort food this summer

Cilantro that grows every year in the same spot at my moms house in this tire. The cilantro flowers and drops seeds for the next year. More Yellow butternut squash, the torts like it. We also grow everything to make fresh salsa, Jalepenos, Serano chiles, red onions

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
This cactus was hiding behind the tomatoe plants so I didnt even notice it blooming. The cactus looks much nicer than the picture, the blooms are bright yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.