Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Jacqui said:
bigred said:
Had more tomotoes than I thought, here is a bucket of tomatoes

Hey I have some blooms now, does that count? :D I like planting the smaller tomato varieties in flowerbeds and pots scattered in all locations in my yards. Then as I am walking around doing things, I can just reach down and grab one or two. I never seem to think to pick them and bring them into the house. :D I notice that my youngest son especially has picked up this habit/ :D

Your bucket has me hungry.

I was surprised that I was able to gather that many up. All these cherry tomatoes are growing in the alley from last year and have been very neglected but have still produced alot. I guess blooms can count:D . I have so many different kinds of tomatoes growing this year, they had a variety called HILLBILLY and you know I had to get one of those. I also came across a white tomatoe so I just got one of those as well. Keep me updated on your growing. I got a couple pretty good size pumkins growing. I also came across some pumkin seeds that they say grow 400 to 500 lbs. I just planted those seeds so we will see what develops with those. I like this time of year

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I try to grow as much of a variety as I can, but there is no rhyme or reason on where they grow, here are some pics taken today of some of my cactus, and banana trees, notice the banana trees growing in the one cactus patch.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Len said:
I try to grow as much of a variety as I can, but there is no rhyme or reason on where they grow, here are some pics taken today of some of my cactus, and banana trees, notice the banana trees growing in the one cactus patch.

Very nice, plenty of good tortoise food you are growing. Do your tortoises go for the cactus or not. My tortoises didnt seem interested in cactus until yesterday, they ate a whole pad. They will be eating more from now on

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bigred said:
I have so many different kinds of tomatoes growing this year, they had a variety called HILLBILLY and you know I had to get one of those. I also came across a white tomatoe so I just got one of those as well.

I have never saw a white one and never heard of Hillbilly either. I have been a good kid this year and have not gotten overly overboard with my tomato numbers. Hard to resist trying some of the different varieties. (this says the woman who has in the back of her head to tomorrow get a couple of more different tomatoes while in "the big city"). :D

Len said:

Oh wow look at those 'naner trees. :D I love seeing your cactus. I think I am giving up on trying to raise them myself. Just so many I have killed. :(

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Jacqui said:
bigred said:
I have so many different kinds of tomatoes growing this year, they had a variety called HILLBILLY and you know I had to get one of those. I also came across a white tomatoe so I just got one of those as well.

I have never saw a white one and never heard of Hillbilly either. I have been a good kid this year and have not gotten overly overboard with my tomato numbers. Hard to resist trying some of the different varieties. (this says the woman who has in the back of her head to tomorrow get a couple of more different tomatoes while in "the big city"). :D

Len said:

Oh wow look at those 'naner trees. :D I love seeing your cactus. I think I am giving up on trying to raise them myself. Just so many I have killed. :(

Jacqui , Its alot of fun go and get some more tomatoe plants. I end up giving alot of what I grow away, cant eat it all. Here is my biggest pumpkin, its pretty amazing how fast they actually grow. I cant wait to see the radiated eating some of this pumpkin. Last time I gave them pumpkin they were ramming my hand

Len B

10 Year Member!
bigred said:
Len said:

Very nice, plenty of good tortoise food you are growing. Do your tortoises go for the cactus or not. My tortoises didnt seem interested in cactus until yesterday, they ate a whole pad. They will be eating more from now on

The red foot and yellow foot torts seem to like the new growth best , but will eat the mature pads at times, especially if I cut them up some for them.They have also taken to eating colocasia this spring,even though they have plenty of their normal foods available. The sulcatas, manouria, russians, and star will eat just about any type of pad offered, but they also seem to prefer the new growth pads when available.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Seems like owning torts also pushes people to become gardeners. I am still working on getting all my seeds and what not started.
But I have an aloe plant and it's doing wonderfully.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I have an organic garden in pots and some bigger stuff out in my big garden (which will probably feed the buns).
I have tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, spaghetti squash, lots of basil, watermelon, cantaloupe, musk melon, multiple types of peppers, pickles, oregano, mint, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, swiss chard, and kale. Out in the tortoise area I grow roses (bush, mini bush, and climbing), hibiscus, day lilies, daisy, and pansy. I feel like I am forgetting something.. oh yeah my blueberry bush has blueberries on it, I have two, I have two apple trees, and two pear trees, and two different types of grapes growing.
I seriously hope the buns eat some of it. If it all ripes at once I am not going to be able to keep up. :D I will take pics this weekend. I could have done it today but I was out cleaning dog poop and killing weeds.. not the delicious edible type.. well the Canadian thistles are edible but evil and they had to die as they poison the ground around them to snuff out the competition.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Len said:
bigred said:
Len said:

The red foot and yellow foot torts seem to like the new growth best , but will eat the mature pads at times, especially if I cut them up some for them.They have also taken to eating colocasia this spring,even though they have plenty of their normal foods available. The sulcatas, manouria, russians, and star will eat just about any type of pad offered, but they also seem to prefer the new growth pads when available.

Im going to try to get my redfoots started eating it, such a great natural food

wiccan_chicken said:
Seems like owning torts also pushes people to become gardeners. I am still working on getting all my seeds and what not started.
But I have an aloe plant and it's doing wonderfully.

Its a good hobby and the torts like the variety of foods

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here is one of my newest adventures in possible future tort food,but still not sure if it is safe for all my torts. This is a 2 year old plant, it seems to grow rather quick and it survived a very cold winter here, It is a South African native and in the asparagus family (eucomis). anyone else grow these ?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Kerryann said:
I have an organic garden in pots and some bigger stuff out in my big garden (which will probably feed the buns).
I have tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, spaghetti squash, lots of basil, watermelon, cantaloupe, musk melon, multiple types of peppers, pickles, oregano, mint, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, swiss chard, and kale. Out in the tortoise area I grow roses (bush, mini bush, and climbing), hibiscus, day lilies, daisy, and pansy. I feel like I am forgetting something.. oh yeah my blueberry bush has blueberries on it, I have two, I have two apple trees, and two pear trees, and two different types of grapes growing.
I seriously hope the buns eat some of it. If it all ripes at once I am not going to be able to keep up. :D I will take pics this weekend. I could have done it today but I was out cleaning dog poop and killing weeds.. not the delicious edible type.. well the Canadian thistles are edible but evil and they had to die as they poison the ground around them to snuff out the competition.

Sounds like you have got lots of good stuff growing, pictures minus the dog poop would be good:D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I took pics of the plants I have up front. In the back i have my blueberries, grapes, yucca, roses, and hibiscus.
Here are my up front pics. Not everything is edible for torts or humans but it's mixed in there. :D

Yes I need to refresh my mulch. :p

My irises :D Not edible but pretty. I think thats spider wort and theres a tiny rosebush from my wedding in there too

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Kerryann said:
I took pics of the plants I have up front. In the back i have my blueberries, grapes, yucca, roses, and hibiscus.
Here are my up front pics. Not everything is edible for torts or humans but it's mixed in there. :D

Yes I need to refresh my mulch. :p

My irises :D Not edible but pretty. I think thats spider wort and theres a tiny rosebush from my wedding in there too

Looks fantastic, the summer sun is on the way and everything will start growing fast. I swear this pumpkin that Ive got growing grows about an inch everyday

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
:( All the rain we have gotten here lately has killed off some of my poor plants. But my Raddichio is starting to grow, and my strawberry plant is going nuts. I'm thinking that I might plant cranberries or rice in my back yard because it is turning into a pond. LOL

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Re: RE: LETS SEE WHAT YOU GROW

Spn785 said:
:( All the rain we have gotten here lately has killed off some of my poor plants. But my Raddichio is starting to grow, and my strawberry plant is going nuts. I'm thinking that I might plant cranberries or rice in my back yard because it is turning into a pond. LOL

That's how it is here too.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Len said:
Here is one of my newest adventures in possible future tort food,but still not sure if it is safe for all my torts. This is a 2 year old plant, it seems to grow rather quick and it survived a very cold winter here, It is a South African native and in the asparagus family (eucomis). anyone else grow these ?

I have never heard of this plant hopefully someone will see this and be able to give you better info

FOR JACQUI or anyone else who wants info on where to buy tomatoe plants or seeds that are suppose to be HUGE. My mom cut this article out of the paper and wants me to get some for her so I can grow them for her:D article says best new HOHEGROWN tomatoe its called SuperSauce. They are available at burpee.com Tomatoes are suppose to be 5 inches round and 2 lbs. each

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Len said:

No, but looks like something I see at the stores. What is it?

Kerryann that is coming along nicely. You know, I think some where (unless I tossed it) I have a turkey like that from years ago. :D

I think the deer have gotten all of my squash, cucumber, and melon plants. They (so far) left the peppers alone this year and the 'maters too. Guess may be next week I will have to plant more vine seeds. For my breakfast this morning, I did get to have a strawberry I picked on the way by. :D

As for the tomatoes, I was good when I went to a couple of stores this week. I did buy a few clearance plants, but no more tomatoes. I stayed strong! :D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Jacqui said:
Len said:

No, but looks like something I see at the stores. What is it?

Kerryann that is coming along nicely. You know, I think some where (unless I tossed it) I have a turkey like that from years ago. :D

I think the deer have gotten all of my squash, cucumber, and melon plants. They (so far) left the peppers alone this year and the 'maters too. Guess may be next week I will have to plant more vine seeds. For my breakfast this morning, I did get to have a strawberry I picked on the way by. :D

As for the tomatoes, I was good when I went to a couple of stores this week. I did buy a few clearance plants, but no more tomatoes. I stayed strong! :D

That turkey had a plant in it that long ago outgrew that pot. The scary thing is that the turkey has some pepper plants from an organic full sized pepper planted in it so I will have to repot them soon. :D I just think the turkey is cute and can't let it go. I have an empty tortoise pot about that size. i wish I had pinterest style creative skills to repurpose them. :p

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I looked out my bedroom window and saw Henry hanging out in the pumpkin patch. They eat pumpkins right off the vine

Status
Not open for further replies.