Lighting and substrate

Kelldon3

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi everyone! Still pretty new here. Getting my baby Hermanns here in a few weeks. I have read a lot on here. So much that I'm still a little confused....or maybe overwhelmed lol. I want to get an mvb bulb. I know they are pricey but I really would like to have just one light. I have read that the wire fixtures are the only ones you can use for those kind of bulbs. Are there any other kinds out there like any of the domes that can handle that type of bulb?

Hi everyone! Still pretty new here. Getting my baby Hermanns here in a few weeks. I have read a lot on here. So much that I'm still a little confused....or maybe overwhelmed lol. I want to get an mvb bulb. I know they are pricey but I really would like to have just one light. I have read that the wire fixtures are the only ones you can use for those kind of bulbs. Are there any other kinds out there like any of the domes that can handle that type of bulb?
I would recommend a Mercury vapor bulb provides lots of heat and uvb

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
MVBs are great, but the UVB output drops off long before the light fails. After about 6-9 months the bulb will be giving off no UVB and must be replaced.

This is why many people prefer using the long tube UVB bulbs as they last for years. You must then have a separate basking bulb.

Thank you Do you know what brand fixtures are ok to use with the mvb bulbs?
Get a porcelain clamp lamp. The Important thing is that you keep in mind the fact that the lamp is like a flood it doesn't direct the light in one direction the cage will be warm if your tortoise is within one foot of the fixture so this works better for cages at least 2x2

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A ceramic lamp holder is good.

But clamps are not recommended because the clamps fail and they are a fire risk.

Also, the lamp inevitably ends up at an angle making it difficult to get accurate basking temperatures underneath.

Lamps should be securely hung above the substrate from a lamp stand. You can make your own or buy one