LIGHTING!!

EwokLudmilla

Hi there! I'm new here and had a quick question:
Do both the UVB bulb and the 100W basking bulb only stay on for 12 hours a day or does the uvb bulb always stay on?
Also: is it ok if I get the uvb and the basking bulb in one?
Thank you so much ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471949477.902612.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi there! I'm new here and had a quick question:
Do both the UVB bulb and the 100W basking bulb only stay on for 12 hours a day or does the uvb bulb always stay on?
Also: is it ok if I get the uvb and the basking bulb in one?
Thank you so much View attachment 184499

Lights should be on for around 12 hours a day in most cases.

We could give better advice if we knew what species and size tortoise you have, where you are, and what your enclosure looks like.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As Tom said, usually 12 hours a day. Yes, the basking and UVB can be the same bulb.
I would not use the coil type bulb. They have been know to cause eye problems. Yes, some people still uses them. I would want to take the chance with my torts eyes.

Steve_carter

UK
Hi @EwokLudmilla I have this arcadia basking, uvb light combined bulb including the ceramic holder. Love the product. Mine is the 80W version. Your watt bulb will depend on enclosure, size of tort. Mine is 10month old, so at this moment this size bulb gives off great heat and uvb and for they are really good on energy efficiency so your electric meter wont be working overtime!

Overtime, well 6 months from purchase I may look into a 100W version of the bulb depending on enclosure then and size of the tort. I shall check my ceramic lamp holder box tonight. I think it might only take upto 80w bulbs. Not too sure could be wrong.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I like the UVB coil bulbs, although I like the bigger ones, 26W as they tend to be more effective at any distance. Millions are safely in use with reptiles everywhere. I use them most of the time in small enclosures. In bigger enclosures, I like the linear tubes. For basking heat, I use a ceramic heater. I also have an undertank heater on a rheostat that provides night heat. It is on a thermostat with the CHE as well during the day. This set up works very well for me.

EwokLudmilla

Thank you very much everyone!! I'm getting the tortoise on Thursday and it's a 10 month old one. The tortoise table is 57 inches long with 2 hutches on either end and I'm planning on using coco coir substrate.

EwokLudmilla

I think as @Steve_carter said, I'm going to get the arcadia one since it is also more practical to just have one bulb alone.
However, if for instance the temperature was too high, how would I be able to lower it? I've bought a laser thermometer

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think as @Steve_carter said, I'm going to get the arcadia one since it is also more practical to just have one bulb alone.
However, if for instance the temperature was too high, how would I be able to lower it? I've bought a laser thermometer

You would adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the bulb. That is the downside to the all-in-one; you usually have to sacrifice one for the other (UV and temperature).

Steve_carter

UK

Hi @EwokLudmilla I've just checked my ceramic lamp holder from Arcadia. It states a 80w Max could be the size shade i have and they might provide larger ones for larger watt bulbs. Just be careful before buying one on the website just incase. Nothing worse than a 80w max lamp holder and a higher wattage bulb.

I also bought a lamp stand which was adjustable. I fixed it to the side of the enclosure and used a laser thermometer gun to monitor the temp. (In the booklet you get with the lamp it can take to 5mins for the lamp to fully warm up.

I started the lamp positioning quite high, after 15mins monitored it. Took a reading and lowered the lamp till I got an average temp. Once I was happy with that I kept monitoring the lamp temperature every 20mins to get an average temp reading and adjusted till I was comfortable that the distance was good to remain within the recommended basking temp.

Steve_carter

UK
Hi there @Steve_carter,
Thank you so much but slightly confused about what you meant in the first paragraph...! Help!

Sorry, I had alook at my box the (ceramic lamp holder) when I got home. on my box it says it can take up to 80w max.

Just with the screenshot from Amazon you put up I noticed you were looking at the 100w bulb?

I just wanted to point it out incase they were selling the 100w bulb with a lamp holder only capable of 80w. BUT I have just checked myself online & they offer higher wattage lamp holders to compensate the higher watt bulbs so all is good.

Sorry for confusing you earlier.

Be great to see pics of your enclosure and your tort. Look forward to seeing/reading your journey! :tort:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Sorry, I had alook at my box the (ceramic lamp holder) when I got home. on my box it says it can take up to 80w max.

Just with the screenshot from Amazon you put up I noticed you were looking at the 100w bulb?

I just wanted to point it out incase they were selling the 100w bulb with a lamp holder only capable of 80w. BUT I have just checked myself online & they offer higher wattage lamp holders to compensate the higher watt bulbs so all is good.

Sorry for confusing you earlier.

Be great to see pics of your enclosure and your tort. Look forward to seeing/reading your journey! :tort:

I can't speak to that specific brand, but most fixtures' ratings that I've encountered were determined by the size of the dome. The socket itself is almost always exactly the same and rated for way more than the 80, 100 or 150w on the box.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Light my reptiles sells a dimmer switch that you can attach to your dome light fixture. I just have my fixture attached to a lamp stand and move it up and down that way.

EwokLudmilla

Hi there!
Quick question:
How high up should the light be from the tortoise enclosure so that it doesn't burn the lil' guy?
Thank you!!