LIGHTING!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As was said in the posts above, you raise or lower the light to get the temperature you want at ground level.

Steve_carter

UK
Hi there!
Quick question:
How high up should the light be from the tortoise enclosure so that it doesn't burn the lil' guy?
Thank you!!

Have you got a lamp stand? I bought one which is adjustable. So it can go up & down. I got my lamp holder and bulb in it. Fixed it to the stand and had it on for 15mins. I then spun the stand to allow the lamp to be pointing into the enclosure. I used a laser thermometer gun to measure the temp. I did so for an hour or so. (Monitoring the temp every 10/15mins) I noticed an average temp so I had an idea if the lamp was too close to the substrate or too high and adjusted it from there until it was at a height where it was allowing the correct basking temp.

Steve_carter

UK
Thank you so much @Steve_carter, very very helpful. There is already a bulb stand/holder but have't raised it yet, however I think that I'm going to buy an adjustable one like you said!!

No problems. I remember been in your position. You panic over the slightest of things. Haha! Oh so you've got a stand? Like a lamp stand or the clamp you get with the lamp holder? If it's a stand, I would personally try that first (might save you afew pennies) it might be suffice for the temps. If it's too hot or cold after testing it with the gun at least you know you need an adjustable one. I got my adjustable stand for what I recall around £25. Mine is about 35cm from the substrate to lamp. That's with the bulb you have bought with the ceramic holder. Your temps may be different depending on substrate. It's one of them things. I could tell you my measurements and others also but all depends on the setup and the stand setup. Always best to check your temps with the Thermo gun.

The bulb you have bought also. It keeps a good constant temperature too. Once it's setup and at the temps you want. It maintains. Put it on a timer and peace of mind it goes on & off when you want :D

Looking forward to seeing the enclosure all sorted and tort living the dream! :)

EwokLudmilla

Hi everyone! He's arrived!!
I have yet another question: does the coco coir have to be completely dry when you let the tortoise in?

Steve_carter

UK
Hi everyone! He's arrived!!
I have yet another question: does the coco coir have to be completely dry when you let the tortoise in?

Woohooo!! :tort: I'm sure others can advise better with the coco coir as i don't use that substrate.

Steve_carter

UK
Cute tort!! <3 Enjoy your times & become the ultimate food God! :D What diet are you feeding the little one? Like Brian advised, iceberg lettuce isn't the most nutritious of food to help him/her grow and develop. It's contains more water & lacks in vitamins that's all.

You'll have to put some pictures up also of your little one exploring his enclosure! :D

EwokLudmilla

Hi everyone! I know, I shouldn't have fed him iceberg lettuce but the place I got him from only had that so I put it in his travelling box!
Right now she's dug a hole and burrowed herself inside her little hutch so will send pictures when she's out again...!
Food wise: i was thinking something along the lines of: Curley leaf kale, weeds, grape vine leaves, watercress... What else? And suggestions?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hi everyone! I know, I shouldn't have fed him iceberg lettuce but the place I got him from only had that so I put it in his travelling box!
Right now she's dug a hole and burrowed herself inside her little hutch so will send pictures when she's out again...!
Food wise: i was thinking something along the lines of: Curley leaf kale, weeds, grape vine leaves, watercress... What else? And suggestions?

Dandelion, chicory, plantain and spring mix. Add some pellets, you'd have a happy tort. Thats what I feed my sulcata, plus grass yours likely doesn't need.

Steve_carter

UK

Can't wait to see her living the dream & enjoying her home! :D enjoy! :tort:

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I will add a bit...

I always start my torts and turtles in very small enclosures. My sulcata spent the first month in a 10 gallon tank. I can control the environment easily and the tort is close to food and water and I think are less overwhelmed. I let them get used to everything in there, then move to a bigger tank. It has always worked for me, even with other animals.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
She's not really moving much.. Only if I encourage her to...she's not eating either...

My first, Kristoff, ate maybe once in the first 10 days with us. The second one, Elsa, was fine from the get-go. They come with different personalities, but the behavior you're observing seems the norm. Give her good soaks and a little time to get used to her home.