Lighting

Thadus

Normally I use a 100w bulb but recently the bulb burned out so I am stuck using a 150w bulb for a little bit, I was wondering if the 150w will harm the tortoise and I was wondering if there is a way to get a certain temperature and keep it at that temperature?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Normally I use a 100w bulb but recently the bulb burned out so I am stuck using a 150w bulb for a little bit, I was wondering if the 150w will harm the tortoise and I was wondering if there is a way to get a certain temperature and keep it at that temperature?

I use 65 watt flood bulbs. I buy them in 6 or 12 packs, so I always have a spare. They always seem to burn out at the most inconvenient times, like when all the stores are closed on a holiday.

Raise or lower your fixture to get the correct basking temperature under it. If that is not an option, go get a rheostat and simply turn the dial to get the correct temperature. Measure the temperature at the same height as your tortoise's carapace. I use a rock or brick and place my thermometer probe on top of it. Let it cook under the bulb for a good couple of hours or more to get an accurate reading.