Status
Not open for further replies.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
OMGosh, Robbie, no way! You were both fighting so hard & she had signs of coming around... I'm so very sorry to hear that your Lil' Bit has passed! I had really thought she was gonna pull thru; the love and care you & the kids gave her was surely comforting to her...

You must be terribly sadden to the core, but know that she is now in tortie heaven, cruising around on lush beds, all smiles on that lil' face! Perhaps the Angels needed a Lil' Bit of earth up there in heaven... I imagine that such words don't bring you the comfort you need, but know that you did your bestest for her & that no one could've done more! Again, I'm so sorry for your loss, Rob!

{{{Big hugs to you & your family too}}} as I know all of you loved and cared for your Lil' Bit. Wish there was some way to dry your tears, my friend! Know that we send you lots of love ~

Colleen & Crew
{{{Robbie}}}

FunnyGirl

5 Year Member
Robyn-

I have been gone for a while but was following the early improvement of Little Bit. I never expected to come back to find she had passed. My heart-felt condolensces to you and your family. I know what it is like.

I am sorry- you are the bomb mom!

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I am so sorry for your loss.Little bit was lucky to have you and I am sure he will be missed.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My fiance is a big tough guy....I showed him Little Bit's sick/puffy picture and told him the story. He was so saddened by it. We feel like the torts and owners here are part of our extended family. I'm still sad about this and keeping you and Little Bit's friends in our thoughts.

auerdoan

5 Year Member
so cal
I am so sorry for your lose.
Your tort is at ease and with no pain..
your tort was very lucky to have u as a owner
you never gave up.

auerdoan

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Lil’Bit’s necropsy is back. She expired due to fluid in her lungs caused by a “Cloacal obstruction by a large urolith (condensed mineral salts/urate) “.

The actual Necropsy Report, for those that are interested in reading the whole thing or to see what one looks like, is listed on the bottom of this post.

Please understand it was and is difficult for me to document her condition as time progressed, but if this helps anybody in the future it will be worth it. I spoke to the DVM, MVSc, PhD, that did the Necropsy. He said he really could not identify if Lil’Bit was a male or female at the time of necropsy (that is why he left it out of the report) and that it was more than likely caused by genetics (i.e. a pre disposition for large amounts of urates) and dehydration ( I should have qualified this to state that it is the Greeks in general and not neccessarily Lil'Bits Parents that are predisposed to this). That it would have taken some time for that large a stone to form. He would not even estimate on the time other than to say in humans it would have taken about a month or more to form one of that size. But in a tort her size it was considered huge. The stone was 1x1cm he stated perhaps even a bit larger. He advised me to contact her vet to get an estimate, if they could even do one.

I also have Biggie her clutch mate and I am watching her like a hawk. She is now on daily soaks and I watch her the whole time to make sure she is drinking. If not it will be SubQ fluids for her. So far so good. All my hatchlings are doing well Drinking, eating, self soaking and being soaked especally with the current weather. All torts are being soaked every other day and all their food is being dampened before eating, as our temps have remained in the 105 F range daytime and in the 80s F at night.

I plan on this thread closing when I post the pic of the plaque I am making for her, which will soon be finished.

Attachments

• S0905771_Final_1.PDF
    77.9 KB · Views: 33

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Robyn,
It must be a very hard day for you because you have to re-live Little Bit's death. Now, we know what happened. There was nothing you could have done to save your little baby (we already knew that but, now in your heart, you know 100%).
Robyn, I know I already told you that but You and Little Bit (even if he is in tortoise paradise) are in my thoughts.
Again, I am really sorry :(

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Not that it really helps, nothing does, but the necropsy results will hopefully bring closure for you.
I know when two of my geckos died I was full of self doubt, maybe it was my fault, I missed something, should have/would have/could have but their necropsies were conclusive. They both died from genetic defects, I could not have done anything to save them even had I known they each had a defect (they were not related, two different issues). Anyway, that information helped me cope with their deaths.
I truly hope the same for you. It, as you already know, is always hard to lose a pet but knowing the whys does help. Chin up.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I hope that this report was able to provide you some closure. Thank you for sharing this part of you private life with us. That was so sad to read. I am glad it provided some answers, and showed that there was really nothing more you could have done.

My fiance and I have already discussed what we would do if Trevor died. I told him I would want to get a necropsy done, and then have him cremated if possible to put in a tortoise shaped urn so we could remember him. Thank you for this harsh reminder that sometimes death is unexpected.

Best wishes.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I just talked via PM with Danny and he had a good thought (not that he has bad ones) but that it may have been the increase in dandelions I was giving her. I had increased the amount of dandelions in all my torts And they have a mod amount of oxalic acid. Greeks can be difficult with food so that and perhaps a bit of dehydration could have lead to her stone. Whatever caused it you can rest assured I am going over all their foods and watching their water intake. I also plan to purchase Saline solution for my emergency kit.

And yes like everyone I have gone over this in my mind over and over to see if I could have done something better for her. I've beat myself up over it had my cries and wondered what makes me think I should even be raising hatchlings. What I did realize out of all this is that they are such fragile souls when they are hatchlings. And though you have raised one or one hundred each is just a bit different and just one thing can change things and made a difference, whether good or bad. Like any four legged family member you dote on them, care for them and you suffer with them. Lil'Bit was one of my precious family members and I will miss her. But she has given me a wonderful gift. A gift of learning from her. For this I will be forever grateful to her. I will always think of her with fond memories and I have my pictures of her now hanging in my tort room as well as my office at work, to always remind me to be ever vigilant and take nothing for granted when caring for these magnificent Reptiles. Thank you Lil’Bit.

Thank you to all those who read this thread and kept up with the posts and gave their support to her and myself. This includes: Maggie3Fan, Tim/Robin, purpod, jlyoncc1, laurun3, emysemys, turtlemom, chelonologist, Candy, George, Clementine_3, Isa, TerryO, galvinkaos, Egyptiandan, galvinkaos, FunnyGirl, Weloveourtortoise, TKCARDANDCOIN, tortoisened’s fiancé, auerdoan, chadk, Laura, sendie, bettinge, TanknTurbo, Gulf Coast, Meg90, desertsss, bikerchicspain, Stazz, spring pace, and anyone I may have forgotten, and all those that followed this thread about Little Bit (Lil”Bit). And to all those that sent PMs and Phone Calls regarding her and myself.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Oh my god, Poor baby, I was so shocked when i saw the second pic,its every torts owners nightmare. We are all praying for little bit.. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.