Little Bit is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Roby, I had a 3 year old Gopherus agassizii (California desert tortoise). I got her as a hatchling and raised her up to be 3. She was a real easy keeper and I adored her. She and I were going to be together until I died. She was beautiful and sweet. Then one morning she didn't eat, ok, that happens sometimes. Didn't eat the second day and the third, so on the fourth day I took her to the Vet, the very first thing my Vet said when she picked Cali up is "she's dehydrated". I was stunned! How could she be dehydrated? I soaked her regularly 3 times a week and many times I saw her drink. She's only not been eating for 3 lousy days. But I didn't always stand there and watch her. I have numerous animals to care for so the reality is I don't stand and watch her soak so how am I to really know she was drinking. I assumed she was because she was mine and she wasn't sick. I told my Vet how many times I soaked her and she said that she didn't believe soaking does much good. She doesn't believe that much fluid soaks up their cloaca. But she also didn't say to stop soaking either. Mainly we soak our animals and we expect them to drink during that soak...
My prayers are that she is eating so she will make it thru. I'm not sure about the Baytril tho...that seems awfully harsh for a baby. Did he tell you how to do that so many times and not hurt such a small body?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Robyn, we are still thinking and we will definetly still be praying for Lil Bit. Thank you for keeping us informed of what is happening. I hoping she will make quite a turn around in the next 7-10 days, but poor baby having to take those shots, but if that's what it takes to make her better then you have to do it.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Awwww I'm praying so hard Lil Bit gets better Robs! Fingers and toes crossed that you will see her getting better soon. Hugs

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yes Maggie, he went over it in detail. We are at a last ditch effort and he feels if it is bacterial this would be best for her. It's so hard knowing what is really best. I have now seen 2 seperate vets and both have said the same thing. She is eating baby food and drinking water when I soak her. But you are right Maggie. I believe if you soak them and they do not drink you will have a dehydrated tort on your hands. I too have several animals and didn't always watch to see if they are drinking when soaked. However I am watching her now and she is drinking. She just seems so very fragile and I can tell by her activity level she is not feeling well. But we keep fighting.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Robyn,
I still pray for Little Bit and for you. It must be really hard for you, Little Bit is very lucky to have a mommy like you. I keep my fingers crossed.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I forgot to say Thanks to Maggie, Candy, Stace and Isa after my last update. I want all of you who posted to know I do appreciate your care, concern and words of wisdom. And yes Maggie, even questioning her care. Without all this, from all of you, it would be very lonely and only make me second guess the care I am giving her. Maggie never stop giving your suggestions or questioning a torts care. We know ( I know) Torts and Turtles are number one with you and that you give your all to those sick babies in need and all you want is what is best for them. You probably have more time in with them than most vets. So if I sounded abrupt, It was not meant that way. My sleep pattern has also changed and I am now sleeping about 4 to 5 hours a night I get up frequently anyway and check on her and the others inside. Obsessive? Maybe but then that’s me.

Yes it’s hard Isa. It’s hard to see her so sick, to give her shots and to give her, her oral meds (really hard to get that tiny mouth open). It’s hard to irritate her to make her stay awake when I know she wants to sleep. I spend every spare minute I can with her. Feeding, soaking or just watching and holding her. I even take her outside with me when I am feeding the outside torts and we talk with them, or sit in my swing and just talk or I sometimes sing to her (yea, yea, that’s one reason I am called Crazy1). But every minute is worth it. As hard as it is for me, I am sure it is harder for her. I know animals are different than peeps, but I just think how very sick I felt when I went through Chemo, and can only imagine how she must feel. This morning she wee weed a bit. Yea :) She spends a lot of time sleeping (so did I when I was sick). She seems to come alive when I hold her and tickle her shell. I scratch the butt of her carapace and her tummy (Not sure she really likes it but I do get a reaction from her. lol).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know you will keep fighting Robyn, and we all will keep praying. These up-dates are very inportant to all of us...Thank you.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks Terry, sometimes I am afraid I am saying too much. I do appreciate the prayers and good thoughts for us both. I will keep the updates comming. Hopefully with better news each time.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Crazy1 said:
sometimes I am afraid I am saying too much.
Nonsense I say! :p
I check in daily for Little Bit updates, I am not a huge poster but do follow these things. You're doing a great (hard) job, keep at it and keep saying too much!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Crazy1 said:
I forgot to say Thanks to Maggie, Candy, Stace and Isa after my last update. I want all of you who posted to know I do appreciate your care, concern and words of wisdom. And yes Maggie, even questioning her care. Without all this, from all of you, it would be very lonely and only make me second guess the care I am giving her. Maggie never stop giving your suggestions or questioning a torts care. We know ( I know) Torts and Turtles are number one with you and that you give your all to those sick babies in need and all you want is what is best for them. You probably have more time in with them than most vets. So if I sounded abrupt, It was not meant that way. My sleep pattern has also changed and I am now sleeping about 4 to 5 hours a night I get up frequently anyway and check on her and the others inside. Obsessive? Maybe but then that’s me.

Yes it’s hard Isa. It’s hard to see her so sick, to give her shots and to give her, her oral meds (really hard to get that tiny mouth open). It’s hard to irritate her to make her stay awake when I know she wants to sleep. I spend every spare minute I can with her. Feeding, soaking or just watching and holding her. I even take her outside with me when I am feeding the outside torts and we talk with them, or sit in my swing and just talk or I sometimes sing to her (yea, yea, that’s one reason I am called Crazy1). But every minute is worth it. As hard as it is for me, I am sure it is harder for her. I know animals are different than peeps, but I just think how very sick I felt when I went through Chemo, and can only imagine how she must feel. This morning she wee weed a bit. Yea :) She spends a lot of time sleeping (so did I when I was sick). She seems to come alive when I hold her and tickle her shell. I scratch the butt of her carapace and her tummy (Not sure she really likes it but I do get a reaction from her. lol).

Maggs, no need to thank honey, we are all tort family and all rooting for you and Lil Bit !! Girl, keep tickling her !!!!!! :) and big yay for the wee ! :p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks all. She seemed a little more alert this morning after her tickle. I think she was just really mad at me. She refused to eat or drink. She just sat in front of her baby food with her eyes open but not eating. (she has been falling asleep in it) Well I put a small piece of Frazee in and she ate it all. I gave her a little water by syringe to keep her hydrated. Just kind of squished it at her mouth when she opened it. Then place her back in the soak and she drank. Then it was off for a nap and I was off to work. Still fighting hard.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Robyn,
Please, do not think you are saying to much, we are with you and we think and pray for you and for Little Bit.
she is not feeling to good these days but I am sure, when she feels you tickel her shell, she is feeling better because she knows someone is there to take care of her.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Isa...you are not saying too much...if you weren't posting and keeping us up on how she's doing we'd all be sending you emails asking about her. Spring has been working hard these past couple of days and emailed me for an update on Little Bit and I thought that was pretty special...Keep on with the reports we need them...we are all your support team here...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks I really appreciate it. Lil'Bit ate more frazee this morning and wee weed a bit. Still no poo. She seems to be moving a bit slower these past few days. I am taking off tomorrow morning to go to San Diego for the Reptile show and my Daughter and Oldest grandaughter are going to Lil'Bit sit for me. When I called to confirm last night, my son-in-law answered, said Hi, and before I even said a word, asked how the 'Baby' was doing. I thought it was sweet he asked. Here he is about 6'6" or so and about 300 lbs and he's asking about my Baby. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Robyn, have fun to the reptile show.
Little Bit is in good hands :)
That is really nice of your son-in-law to ask you how your baby is going :).

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Well we got a little bit of poo today. First time since before June 11 (19 days). It was a small amount and I am in no way saying she is out of the woods. I had pretty well resigned myself that I would lose her soon. I have been hydrating her and she is still swollen but a little poo is better than no poo.

M

Maggie Cummings

We are happy to see poo...and that means she has taken in some food...yeah!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.