Little Bit is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Little Bit belongs to Robyn Spring...not me. I guess I worded my post that way cuz I was worried about her too...But she's Robyn's...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
And I thank you one and all for the concern and great vibes and prayers sent our way. This morning Little Bit was actually stomping around her enclosure looking for her breakfast. Sorry I have not posted the pics yet but I was so tired last night I just couldn't will try to post them tonight. I found what appeared to be a almost rubbery, gummy, slightly sticky substance she had pood out. I am not sure what it was, nothing she had in her enclosure and nothing she had gotten to eat. It had the consistency of a half dried (gross here) booger. All I could think of is it had to be something that the meds caused or a glump of parasites. But whatever it was it is out and she seems to be doing better. Now I am on poo watch. I have moved Biggie to a different enclosure so Little Bit is alone in hers for now so I can watch her progress, and she urinated fine this morning. As long as she improves a bit daily I will be thrilled daily.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Great news Robyn. I read it to the boys and they are excited to here that Lil Bit is so much better. Can't wait till you post pictures. :)

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Excellent progress!
I'm sure getting the nasty little whatever-it-was-half-dried-blob-of-a-booger out helped. 'Poo watch' and 'poo pondering' are two great pastimes, it never gets old no matter who's doing the poo'ng. LOL
Can't wait to see pics, certainly sounds like the corner has been turned...

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
bettinge said:
Gulf coast, you get the coolist attachments! But the photo of your tort chowing down is the best!

Awww thanks.. :) I took that picture of waldo his first week with us.. I need to take some new ones.. Thanks again.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Here are the pics of Little Bit (Lil’Bit) I promised.
June 13 Lil’Bit and Biggie were still sleepy. Its pretty early.
P6130001.jpg

These were taken on the 16th of June in the AM
Lil’Bit wee wee-d for the first time since she got sick. Hip Hip Hooray! :D
P6160001.jpg

Here she is trying to eat. She doesn't seem to see well and she misses the food alot still.
P6160007.jpg

Here is a AVI of her trying, and with help, succeeding in eating - if you care to watch.

I know we are not out of the woods yet, she has a long way to go to get healthy. Hopefully she's up to that fight.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I love the wee wee pic! Only we would enjoy something like that. Yesterday I found myself telling Trevor he was a good boy after a tremendous poop! hehe

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
LOL Kate I did the same yesterday with Tallula - she never poops in the bath and she made a huge healthy one, I was like "Aw mommys girl you are SO good, well done" haha

Robyn, Lil Bit is looking better. I will keep praying for her, I can tell she's a fighter. We are all thinking of you. She really does look so much better, she is SO cute! And Biggie is lovely as well. Thanks for sharing the pics and the cute vid

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I didn't realize how small she is until I saw your hand feeding her. Well, at least she's trying to eat...and succeeding.
We won't stop praying though.

M

Maggie Cummings

Dare we hope that she is on the road to recovery? I am hoping...she's a pretty little thing...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Robyn, Alexander and I loved the video and the pictures of Lil Bit and Biggie. So glad to hear that she is eating. Thanks for posting these I love to show the boys her progress. And Terry's right we won't stop saying prayers for her.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks all. She is tiny. I weighed two of the new hatchlings (2 months old) this morning and they weigh more than she does and are as large as she is. Maggie, I am fearful this is not over yet :(.
But I will fight with her.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Robyn, how is Lil Bit doing today? I loved your pictures they were so cute. I did tell the boys yesterday that she was doing better. :)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Yes, Robyn, it's so scary when they are so little! Had to laugh, tho, at how Biggie was not to be deterred from his snacking when you moved the greens, lol!
;)
And of course, we still have her in our prayers, Rob ~ and you too!!
Blessings all the way around,
Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Update on Lil’Bit-Not out of the woods
I took Lil’Bit to the vet on Monday as she is still very lethargic (eating) but still just a bit puffy. Nothing like she was in the pics. But she has not pood or urinated except that one time and a little bit of white urates. I saw a different vet with about 20 years experience on Torts. He was very thorough and said the other Vet I had taken her too seemed to be right on. I wanted another opinion if only for my nerves, that’s why I took her to a different vet.

We had a long talk; He told me what he thought then said he wanted to double check his vet book and then called someone to verify his theory on what may be wrong with her. He agreed with the first Vet that it could be heart, kidneys, bacterial or parasitic. Though he said he was thinking parasitic or bacterial and to my surprise he said he thought she may also be dehydrated. He also said she seemed physically strong. So other then what the first vet said he thought she might be dehydrated. Yes even slightly swollen, dehydrated.

I explained I soak her for 15 minutes once a day. He asked that I soak her for 10 minutes 3 times a day for the next 10 days. And that I am to give her Baytril injections with a smidgen of B12 for the next 10 days. I asked about giving it to her orally and he said he really wants it injected. He agreed it is more painful but that he wants to make sure she gets it all. And give her the Pancur for the next 3 days. Feed her organic baby food, (garden vegetables, carrots and squash (winter or butternut)). I asked if I could feed her, her favorites (grape leaves, squash blossoms, hibiscus and wandering jew) if I pureed them. He said sure. He said either she would turn the corner and do fine or she would slip into a sleep she will not wake up from. But either way I will know, (and that I should know within a week to 10 days.) I have done all that could, be done for a tort so tiny. I told him if she is to leave, I did not want her to suffer. He said “She will simply not wake one day, and that unfortunately that is what happens sometimes.”

So there we have it 7 to 10 days of waiting. With fingers crossed and prayers said still hopeful she turns the right corner.

I hope all who read this understand I have been journalizing her illness so that others can understand just how fast a young tort can turn and the emotional drain and struggle to do what is right for them. Let alone the expense. Plus a venting for me.

I thank all of you who have sent prayers and good thoughts our way don’t stop yet. We are still working hard to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.