Status
Not open for further replies.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Awww, poor lil' thing ~ Glad to hear some of the puffiness has gone down, but am hoping that she makes more of an improvement as time goes... Dang, Girl, you must be beside yourself! Know you are not alone, and that lots of peeps are pulling for you guys!!

Wishing a bounty of blessings for ya!
Purpod

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Aw Robyn my heart is broken for you, I will pray so hard for you honey, so hard for Lil Bit that she makes a full recovery !!!
The pic made me so sad to see how little and helpless our little ones do become. I am praying so hard!!!! Exactly, Purpod is right - you have loads of people pulling for you, and all our prayers should work wonders. BIGGEST hugs

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Update #2:
Little Bit and I want to thank all of you who have sent well wishes and prayers for her. I got the results back from Biggies fecal and she has pinworms. So I will be deworming every one in the household. Yep all Torts, 2 dogs and me too. Want to make sure we are all PW free. Picking up the meds after work today. Can't wait to get home and check on her. Next update when something changes (thinking positive) for the better.

M

Maggie Cummings

Surely pin worms wouldn't make her that sick? I have had hatchlings with pin worms and they showed no signs at all...What's the prognosis?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I'm sorry I should have made it clearer. Biggies fecal showed pinworms. This is not the diagnosis for Little Bit, or me. But because they live in the same enclosure I am dosing her and Little Bit. Pin worms are contagious and one of the zoonotic parasites. I am crazy about washing my hands and using hand sanitizer but one never knows so I spoke to my Doc and he said it would be fine for me as well.

Maggie, the Vet gave her a 50/50 chance. He said he just wasn’t sure because she is so, so tiny. But said if her system was compromised then worms could add to the problem. I’m sure you know this is difficult because she has no desire to eat, I can’t soak her because she is retaining fluids. I fear if she does not turn around soon I will lose her within a few days.

Isa, meds for pinworms are not an antibiotic it is a one time dose for me and it is purely precautionary.

Kate, he really isn’t sure as he could not get a sample from her. But something is making her very ill.

When I got home she was pretty swollen again. I gave her the shot and the worm meds. Boy that was a job. She is not eating and I am taking Maggie’s approach when I am home. I am holding her a lot and talking to her so she just doesn’t give up and sleep her little life away. About 2 hours after I gave her the shot this evening it seemed to bring the swelling down a bit. She is urinating but it seems as if she is dribbling instead of just going. In my heart of hearts I fear it is kidney problems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so very sorry, Robyn. This is a real tough thing for you to have to watch, and really no way for you to help. Remember the RES that I rescued a couple weeks ago? Her front legs were so swollen and I was afraid she had kidney problems. Well, I just left her alone, changing her water every day, and yesterday I was able to "graduate" her to being outside in the "up-for-adoption" tub. So I think there IS hope for Lil' Bit, and I'm hoping!! In my opinion, I think you should soak her. It would help to flush the toxins out of her system.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I think I agree with Yvonne. I think you should soak her, in babyfood. I can't stand it when they don't eat. I take a piece of radiccho (sp?) and fan his face trying to make him bite the leaf. I do everything I can think of to make them eat. Please keep us posted Robyn, I know how hard this is, I absolutely know how you feel...I am so sorry this had to happen to Little Bit, it's just so sad...I'm sorry...

turtlemom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Berthoud, Colorado
Oh Robyn, we are so sorry that Little Bit is so sick. I wish there was something we all could do to help you and her. You are both in my thoughts and prayers this weekend. I am so sad. Please keep us updated.

Hugs to Little Bit and you :(

Donna

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Robyn,
I am very sad to hear that Little bit is still sick :(. Little bit is very lucky to have you to take care of him, he must feel so much better inside him knowing that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Little bit.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
When things like this happen it is just devastating. Know that we are all here for you and praying thins weekend for Lil Bit and you.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Heya Rob,

So what are pin worms and how does one get them? Thanx for keeping us posted; we are all still pulling for you all!!

Many more prayers your way,
Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne, I am so glad to hear your RES recovered nicely and she is now up for adoption. Yeh. :D

I too thought about soaking her but feared it would only add to the fluid retention. Maggie I have taken your suggestions and been holding her and talking to her a lot anything to keep her from falling into such a deep sleep she doesn’t want to wake up. I tried fanning her favorite (grape leaves) and even a red hibiscus flower at her face. She would have nothing to do with them. I had decided that Sunday morning she would be in a soak of carrots (I think that’s what I have) But low an behold I put the food in for Biggie this morning and look what she decided to do.P6130003a.jpg
She didn’t eat a lot but she did eat some Frazee (sp?) and a little bit of a grape leaf. Unfortunately she hates the Panacur so this morning I had a friend stop by and helped me administer it to her. I made her mad enough to bite a toothpick. Then he put the meds in her mouth while she had it open. So she still has enough spunk to get mad enough to bite at that aggravating toothpick (by the way I did blunt the ends). In the above pic she is less swollen. But it seems the fluid does continue to build without the diuretic.

I went to the TFO lunch meeting today at Delmenicos (sp) and had a good time. My daughter was planning on going with me but decided to stay home with Lil Bit and keep and eye on her. When I came home she was sleeping and my daughter said she tickled her feet and talked to her most of the time she was with her.
So my update is she has eaten a little and she is hanging on. Right now all I can do is take it one day at a time.

Purpod, The adult pinworms are white and males measure 1-4 mm and females 6-13 mm Or about a 1/2 inch long, with the diameter of a strand of thread (also called threadworms). These are tiny roundworms. In the same way that many bacteria live in our intestines without making us sick, pinworms can live happily in our intestines without causing any problems unless you already have a compromised immune system then they can reek havoc. Although the most common complaint caused by pinworms is peri anal itching, they may also cause intestinal abscesses and bleeding.
Pinworm eggs can survive for about 2 weeks on clothing, bedding, or other objects. People become infected, usually unknowingly, by swallowing (ingesting) infective pinworm eggs that are on fingers, under fingernails, or on clothing, bedding, and other contaminated objects and surfaces. Because of their small size, pinworm eggs sometimes can even become airborne and ingested while breathing. This is usually the little white worms kids are prone to get. Some say you can not catch from animals others say you can. Incubation Period: 2-6 weeks.

Again thank you all for the kind words, thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
New Update:
This morning Lil’ Bit had both eyes open. :D, though she wasn't in the mood to eat, I pureed some wandering jew, grape leaves, hibiscus leaves, a hibiscus flower and a squash blossom and added a touch of canned pumpkin. It smelled strong of greens. She seemed to sip a bit from the needle less syringe I had it in to feed it to her but not much. I soaked her in this for 10 minutes and she drank a little. Her swelling is much less at this time as I am still giving her the diuretic. She is moving from the warm spot to a cooler spot and a cooler spot to a warmer spot throughout the day. But it was nice to see both of her eyes open this morning. She still seems very lethargic but We are not ready to give up yet.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Oh Robyn, I am so happy that Little Bit had her 2 eyes opened this morning :D It is a very good sign!

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi Robyn, I thought i would pop in today and see how Little Bit is doing. I am glad she tried to eat yesterday, that seems like a good thing...I have hopes she and you will be fine...

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Aw Robyn, I'm also checking up to see how she's doing. Have been thinking of you and Lil Bit all the time. Really hoping and praying for you that all works out. She knows you love her, I'm sure she's a fighter, sure sounds like it !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.