London Rocket

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are about a dozen or so tortoise weeds that I know are safe and have checked on at some point over the years, but I can never remember the names. Today I took the time to look up one of them. This is London Rocket:
image-asset.jpeg
london-form2.jpg

Its in the Brassicae family. Related to mustard and arugula. Its a very common weed around here where I live. I wouldn't feed whole meals of it every day, but its a good part of a mix to add some variety and bulk to the food bucket. None of my tortoises have ever seemed to love it, but they all eat it.

We've had an unusually heavy amount of rain this year and the weeds and wild grasses are growing like crazy. The tortoises are reaping the benefits and I have not had to buy any food for weeks.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
During the summer months when I use the electric mower to gather food I know that some picked up may be on the don't feed list. But the small amount picked up won't affect the health of the tortoises. I've been doing this for years and never seen any ill effects. There's certain things I mow around so they are not included in their feed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i see this EVERYWHERE. Good to know!
This one and mallow are early season spouters. Look for prickly lettuce and wild mustard for late season plants. Filaree is another commonly found one that is good in mix.