Look what my male Bell's did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I while back, I got in this male Bells Hingeback. I wasn't too concerned about him, because at the time I had no breeding use for him. I was more concerned with getting him settled in and eating, plus over quarantine. Then I gave my other spare male to another keeper with a couple of females and no males (that male is busy being Mr Studly :D). Now that I had decided my original male from years ago may be sterile, I decided I needed to rethink who is living with whom.

However, before I could get serious about it, this happened...

031.jpg

:D :D! Yep this male is really a female. I guess "he" never laid eggs in the 12 plus year his last owner had him. :D I am happy he is a she, but now it leaves me with just the one male. :( Okay, so now I kinda have egg all over my face...:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
don't worry I am sure the "one" male won't be complaining much

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Gee, and I thought sexing tortoises was a perfectly understood science! ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Madkins007 said:
Gee, and I thought sexing tortoises was a perfectly understood science! ;)

:D I have always gone with the theory that it's not a male til it flashes or a female til it lays eggs. :D She does actually have a bit of an indentation, so a quick glance would make you think male. :p I just never did check the tail out. :rolleyes:

dmmj said:
don't worry I am sure the "one" male won't be complaining much

DingDong would no doubt be happy with three females all his own, but I would like to see some fertile eggs coming out of it. ;) So far, the eggs don't seem fertile. :(

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
HA! I had that happen last year with my second "male" Home's. When I got the original three, I was told they were a reverse trio and just took it at face value and never really double checked. I completely understand your surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.