Looking for 2nd opinion on suspected male/female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutha

5 Year Member
Smaller, (very slight) concavity of the plastron, and sharp V makes me think male:
PA240008.jpg

Larger, flat plastron, and less sharp V makes me think female:
PA240012.jpg

Anyone agree/disagree? I don't think the suspected male had a more pointy tail, but it's a little tough to tell.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I pretty much agree that #1 is male and #2 is female, but the angle they are held on and the fact that I can't really see the tail makes it hard for me to tell for sure.

Brutha

5 Year Member
Kristina - Sorry, I should have had someone else take the picture. I was more focused on holding them securely than lining up the camera.

Danny - Thanks. In that case, I won't have to research the legalities of their offspring.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Wait a minute!
Could I please be educated as to how you are distinguishing male vs female in these pictures, Dan?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge in advance!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Well :)

At that size a male would have a slightly longer tail. Not longer after the cloaca, but before. The anal scutes would be more open V shape. The edges of the femoral scutes would come down straighter and go more quickly in (almost a 90 degree angle).

Danny

Brutha

5 Year Member
Your scientific explanations won't hide your psychic tortoise abilities for long, Danny! I'm on to you. Ha ha.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Well :)

At that size a male would have a slightly longer tail. Not longer after the cloaca, but before. The anal scutes would be more open V shape. The edges of the femoral scutes would come down straighter and go more quickly in (almost a 90 degree angle).

Danny

Geez, that's quite a lot of observation in such limited #s of photos.
Thanks for the info!
I'm with Brutha, however. I think you are a tort intuit! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.