• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Lost mealworm

nammysu

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello all!

I have a box turtle in an indoor enclosure with mulch substrate. While feeding, 1 mealworm managed to escape. I tried chasing it down, but after 30 seconds it was GONE. Should I be concerned? Remove all my substrate? Just leave it?

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It won't harm a turtle in this situation. I'd leave it alone.

Calaveras

Sacramento area California
If you still want to find it, drop a carrot or other high moisture root vegetable in there at night and the meal worm will be chewing on it by morning.

nammysu

Massachusetts
Update:

I was just sitting here looking at the turtle when I noticed a wiggling wood chip. I went in for a closer look and picked up the chip and found the worm! I also dug around a bit and found 2 more worms!

Side note that may or may not be related. I've been noticing a lot of tiny fruit flies buzzing around in there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Meal worms turn into beetles, not fruit flies. It's very hard to have a moist turtle environment and not get gnats. It's one of the banes of a turtle-keeper's existence.