Mac's growing

Beach Bum

Location (City and/or State)
Pismo Beach, CA.
image.jpg finally got a few plants planted in his enclosure. We have 2 pots with Poppys sprouting. Hopefully they'll get bigger to help fill it in. Anybody have anymore ideas for plants I could put in here to spruce it up a bit? I took his bark covered house out cause it was a bit on the bigger side and put his old hide in until I build him a smaller hide that looks better than the upside down pot. He's 3 1/8" long and weighs 87.88 grams. In the past 2 weeks he's gained 4 grams and roughly an 1/8" in length. I'm sure the length isn't real accurate but it's pretty close. The grassy plant is Carex Frosted Curls and I forgot what the other was but it is tort friendly according to the tortoise table.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
He sure is adorable! Have you looked into any of the tortoise seed mixes? I like to make "flats" of them and once grown I put them in the enclosure (sinking so it is the same height of the current substrate.) Here is a photo of Tuleo (Sulcata) in his first enclosure with his seed mix. I still do this today. I have one in his enclosure and one sprouting, you can even have it sprout indoors in a sunny location. It is pretty bomb proof. The "pot" in a toss away plastic leftover container bought at Wal*Mart. It is the largest offered and I believe it was two to a pack. I poke holes in the bottom for drainage and water lightly in the evening so it can "recover" a bit at night. Easy peasy! weelass.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Boston fern is nice like the one DawnH has.
He looks so cute and happy!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I would plant some plantain, dandelion, clover, strawberry,...
And if they are eaten up you can just get new ones - they grow outside for free after all. ;)

Beach Bum

Pismo Beach, CA.
Picked up some plants today at the farmer's market. Hopefully they'll take off and make his enclosure more appealing to him. Hope he doesn't eat it all before it starts growing though. image.jpg

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Love it! I love the wee little road out of bark...lol. So sweet!