Male pastron vs Femal age 6 1/2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

srsanlorenzo

5 Year Member
I have 3 Sulcatas of different size all with in 1 year of each other. About a week ago my " Big Ma Ma " ( she has a flat Pastron as can be ). Well I noticed a bubble on her underside after she drank some water. Yesterday this bubble was about 4" long and now Big Ma Ma is really Big Daddy ! I feel like I was dating a Geshi Girl and found out it was a guy ! Oh she/he is just over 12".
I was disappointed as I have another Sulcata that has an inverted pastron and thought they would mate. He " Hank" is just over 11" . Now I also have another one I call Little Guy who is 6 months younger than Big Daddy. He too has a very flat pastron.
I live in Hayward, Ca - close to Oakland .Ca
So if you need a STUD - I am sure he is the Man. and he maybe willing to make X Rated movies??
I can be contacted at [email protected]
Steve

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve, and welcome to the Forum!!

Some male sulcatas don't get the concave plastron for quite a few years. The females are pretty scarce and I'd be willing to bet over 80% of the sulcatas in captivity are male.

I don't know if you were joking about stud service, but you should know that most tortoise-keepers like to have a quarantine period of from 3 to 6 months before putting tortoises together. So I really doubt you're going to get anyone to take you up on your offer...besides that, like I said, most of us already have males.

srsanlorenzo

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi Steve, and welcome to the Forum!!

Some male sulcatas don't get the concave plastron for quite a few years. The females are pretty scarce and I'd be willing to bet over 80% of the sulcatas in captivity are male.

I don't know if you were joking about stud service, but you should know that most tortoise-keepers like to have a quarantine period of from 3 to 6 months before putting tortoises together. So I really doubt you're going to get anyone to take you up on your offer...besides that, like I said, most of us already have males.

Yvonne;

Didn't know some males have the flat plastron. What a surprise it was for me. I guess I have at least 2 and maybe 3 males....

Thanks for the info.
Steve

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Do you have pics of each turtle.... I think i have the same problem...lol
Sandra

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I would venture to guess your 80% is way off. Maybe 80% of Sulcatas offered to the general public are male, but that does not account for animals that are in breeding programs where females outnumber males exponentially.

Either way, by 8" Sulcatas are visually sexable, and some males will never have a concave plastron.

srsanlorenzo

5 Year Member
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
Do you have pics of each turtle.... I think i have the same problem...lol
Sandra

Sandra;
I can take pictures, what would you like to see, the flat plastron?

Steve

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yes i guess . from the back side... I'm so confused with my turtles because some people tells me its a male and a female and some other people tells me its two males
thanks again for your help

srsanlorenzo

5 Year Member
RE: Male pastron vs Female age 6 1/2 years

Sandra, here are 2 pictures of the underside. NOTE flat plastron and wide area at the tail. This guy is more than 6 1/2 years closer to 7. As I listed I thought it was a girl because of its very flat bottom. Now I noticed it has a large v or more of a u at its tail and his tail is I think, now large. Also note he is just over 12" and in the past few weeks has shown he is a male.

Hope this helps you ?
Steve

SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
Yes i guess . from the back side... I'm so confused with my turtles because some people tells me its a male and a female and some other people tells me its two males

Attachments

• 004 (3).JPG
    004 (3).JPG
    916.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    944.2 KB · Views: 91

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had a male that didn't show any concavity until he was about 9 years old. Some of them just don't show it early on. Tail size is a better indicator anyway. Adult females have tiny little tails. Maybe a quarter to a half inch sticks out past the cloaca. Males have big long tails. 2-3". So if your little one has a tail that is already an inch or more past the cloaca, its gonna be a male.

By the way, maturity is more a function of size than it is age. You can have a three year old mature male, if he's 14" which some are.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I had a male that didn't show any concavity until he was about 9 years old. Some of them just don't show it early on. Tail size is a better indicator anyway. Adult females have tiny little tails. Maybe a quarter to a half inch sticks out past the cloaca. Males have big long tails. 2-3". So if your little one has a tail that is already an inch or more past the cloaca, its gonna be a male.

By the way, maturity is more a function of size than it is age. You can have a three year old mature male, if he's 14" which some are.

Hi
what do you guys think about these two ?
the small one shows the tail- the other one i never saw it
thanks

srsanlorenzo said:
Sandra, here are 2 pictures of the underside. NOTE flat plastron and wide area at the tail. This guy is more than 6 1/2 years closer to 7. As I listed I thought it was a girl because of its very flat bottom. Now I noticed it has a large v or more of a u at its tail and his tail is I think, now large. Also note he is just over 12" and in the past few weeks has shown he is a male.

Hope this helps you ?
Steve

SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:

Hi Steve,
thanks yeah that helps- i guess mine are males .. to bad i dont have a girl and a male.. lol i always thought i had 2 grils.. i posted to pics of them you can check them out aswell when you have time
thanks for your help
sandra

one more pic

Attachments

• big3.JPG
    big3.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC05749.JPG
    DSC05749.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 69
  • small2.JPG
    small2.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC05747.JPG
    DSC05747.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC05745.JPG
    DSC05745.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 68

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yup.
What am i going to do with 2 males.... Where do i get a female from in that size :-(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
Yup.
What am i going to do with 2 males.... Where do i get a female from in that size :-(

You need to take this to your own thread.

Your first one is a male. They are both still immature and I can't tell for sure from the pics, but the second one might be a female.

Having a male and a single female is just as bad as having two males. They will need to be separated. Females of this size are seldom seen for sale and fetch a high price when they are sold.

Do you want to be a breeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.