Marbelizing on Redfoots...Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I've been wondering now for quite some time about the marbeling on Dale's shell. I hear it's desirable from some, but then I wonder if that's true or not, I mean where are the facts at? Sometimes I wonder if it's not because they're lacking some mineral or vitamin and that's why their shell does that. If I go to some of the Redfoot farm websites in Brazil I don't see any of their shells having any white on them at all and there's hundreds of them. And then I see other Redfoots on here that don't have any either and then there are some that have a lot of it. I noticed that when I have the humidity way up in Dale's enclosure he seems to be marbelizing faster then before and now Ruby's shell is already Marbelizing at her young age. I keep her humidity up around 85%. I'm wondering if it has to do with that of the humidity factor or the fact that they are not outside like the ones in Brazil and that they don't get full sun whenever they need it. What do you think?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I don't know the answer to your question, but my girl has no marbling, but she is a northern. I think it may be some genetic variation that has been selected for breeding... But a breeder probably knows the real answer

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Marbling in a "Cherry Head" is a normal growth pattern. Some have it some don't.
Animals raised inside with minimal UVL tend to retain the pattern, Sometimes their entire life. Animals raised out side with an abundance of natural sun light tend to darken over time.
I have 10 CH's, 2 adults & 8 sub adults. All of my animals are out side & all have some degree of marbling. Some 8" animals have a lot & some have just a touch of marbling.
The 2 adults have just the faintest remnants of marbling, New growth shows white or gold(ish) color. This quickly darkens to a deep brown or black.

This is how they grow naturally & is not caused by diet that I am aware of.
I have seen animals imported from farms in Brazil that were 6" and showed varying degrees of marbling. The adults that these animals came from seem to have none in most photos. Some close up photos that I have seen of the farm breeding stock show traces of marbling.

I was at "Pet farm" when the infamous shipment of "Cherry Heads" were shipped from Paraguay, I have no doubt that those animals were of wild origin. All of those first imports showed signs of marbling. Some of the youngest animals resembled Leopard tortoises! That is not an exaggeration! The older animals were darker but the marbling was still present.

That is about all I know about marbling in "Cherry Head" redfoots.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've seen pictures of some Cherries with lots of marbling, and they always cost a little more. Pio is also starting to get some, and I love it. That's one of the things that first attracted me to Cherry Heads when I was researching which tortoise to get. A few years ago I saw one on Kingsnake that was covered with it and was selling for $500. I also heard that it was from high humidity inside, and once they went outside it did become darker.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
It will be very interesting come May when Dale goes outside what will happen to his shell pattern of marbling. I guess it's all a learnig and waiting process. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Candy, Pio was out all last summer, and his didn't get any darker. In fact, he's getting more. That's why I love the Cherries...besides that nose.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Now, I see all this talk of marbling, and yet, no one posts any pics? There's something wrong here---

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Marblizing or mottling is just a loss of melatonin pigment in the growth lines. It seems pretty natural in Red-foots, especially those from Brazil.

I DO wonder, however, if there may not be a stress-induced version as well. One of mine, my first of this herd, developed some of it about all at once, and at about the same time as her shell developed some pyramiding. She is a Northern which sometimes mottle in the wild, but do not seem to do so as often as other groups. None of the others show any sign of it (well, the CH I traded to Terry did, but she is not in my herd anymore so she does not count!)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Well here's Pio, Meg. He's 2 1/2 years old now. Can you tell if he's a male?
022-7.jpg

012-13.jpg

018-7.jpg

001-31.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Pio looks female to me, because of the anal scute coordination but I'm no redfoot expert. Do you have a picture that shows the cloaca? That would help. :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
t_mclellan said:
Marbling in a "Cherry Head" is a normal growth pattern. Some have it some don't.
Animals raised inside with minimal UVL tend to retain the pattern, Sometimes their entire life. Animals raised out side with an abundance of natural sun light tend to darken over time.
I have 10 CH's, 2 adults & 8 sub adults. All of my animals are out side & all have some degree of marbling. Some 8" animals have a lot & some have just a touch of marbling.
The 2 adults have just the faintest remnants of marbling, New growth shows white or gold(ish) color. This quickly darkens to a deep brown or black.

Tom's explanation is exactly right and my experiences have been the same.
This is how they grow naturally & is not caused by diet that I am aware of.
I have seen animals imported from farms in Brazil that were 6" and showed varying degrees of marbling. The adults that these animals came from seem to have none in most photos. Some close up photos that I have seen of the farm breeding stock show traces of marbling.
I was at "Pet farm" when the infamous shipment of "Cherry Heads" were shipped from Paraguay, I have no doubt that those animals were of wild origin. All of those first imports showed signs of marbling. Some of the youngest animals resembled Leopard tortoises! That is not an exaggeration! The older animals were darker but the marbling was still present.
That is about all I know about marbling in "Cherry Head" redfoots.

Tom's explanation is exactly right. My experiences have been the same.
As for that Pet Farm shipment---oh man do I wish I kept the ones I got back then! Who knew they would go from $40.00 each to what they sometimes go for now? Being able to pick through a few thousand individuals was also pretty nice.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
[/quote]

Tom's explanation is exactly right. My experiences have been the same.
As for that Pet Farm shipment---oh man do I wish I kept the ones I got back then! Who knew they would go from $40.00 each to what they sometimes go for now? Being able to pick through a few thousand individuals was also pretty nice.
[/quote]

If we only knew then what we know now!

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Terry, from my novice eye, Pio looks to be a Pioletta ... I don't know whether to wink or frown for an emoticon! lol

Although didn't you say he/she had a "love rock" ?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Ya think, Jordan? He hasn't bothered the love rock since I moved it to the other end of his viv. He is too lazy to go all the way over there. He has discovered mushrooms now. I need to find a scale. Where would I buy one...does anyone know? I think he is a little over weight. My son seems to think he is fat.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Target has them Terry my husband just bought one for me for my Valentines gift. They're in the kitchen section. I weighed Dale today and he is 2 lbs. 10 1/4 ounces and Ruby is 4 ounces. I am so happy now that I can track their weight. :D I was really hoping that Danny would come on here and look at Pio and tell you what he is, but no such luck yet. :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My best guess for sex, based on anal scute angle, apparent tail size, and the anal gap is female, but because it is still a younger animal and the photo is not great, I would only give it about a 60% certainty.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy said:
Target has them Terry my husband just bought one for me for my Valentines gift. They're in the kitchen section. I weighed Dale today and he is 2 lbs. 10 1/4 ounces and Ruby is 4 ounces. I am so happy now that I can track their weight. :D I was really hoping that Danny would come on here and look at Pio and tell you what he is, but no such luck yet. :(

Candy I doubt Danny could do anything more [ like all of the rest of us ] than 'guess' that Pio is a male.

Terry K

DoctorCosmonaut said:
Terry, from my novice eye, Pio looks to be a Pioletta ... I don't know whether to wink or frown for an emoticon! lol

Although didn't you say he/she had a "love rock" ?

Jordan that 'love rock' thing is meaningless! I've seen sub-adult/adult females 'ride' each other.. especially this time of year when all of the females are together...

Terry K

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I would have to go with male (90% sure...fudge factor). It's definately big enough to sex.

How long have you had it? Very nice looking animal.

terryo said:
Well here's Pio, Meg. He's 2 1/2 years old now. Can you tell if he's a male?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I would have to go with male (90% sure...fudge factor). It's definately big enough to sex.

How long have you had it? Very nice looking animal.

I have him (?) since he was a hatchling. He's 2 1/2 now. I got him from Tom C. So far..so good. He was just starting to get some marbling last summer.
028-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.