Marbling?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so i just had the question if some more experienced redfoot keeps could elaborate on marbling a little bit, i'm mostly curious can "normal" red's marble or is it only cherry/Brazilian almost every redfoot i see pictures of that is heavily marbled is a cherry

does it depend on gene's or care/habitat?

so if anyone can comment or speculate i'd love to hear err i mean read

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know the answer, but I THINK it's mainly on the CH tortoises.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
I have wondered this as well, and I really hope my girl marbles as she grows! I think it's gorgeous when they do! ^_^

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
DRbest.jpg

;)

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I think it's mostly cherries. I have cherries and all have started marbling. I also have three reds and one constantly has white marbling looking growth mostly on plastron, tiny bits also show up on his shell but then turn his normal shell color. weird.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
are those cherries or "normal" reds? i've alway's wondered that about your hypos to i think we've talked about it i just have a bad memory lol
The first picture is a Yellow Marbled "Suriname" and the rest are Hypo Northern Redfoots.

MoonRX

Indonesia
PhotoGrid_1421547950007-1.jpg
Hi everyone..
I got some questions regarding my marbled CH.
Can the widely marbled CH (top picture) turn into a darker one (bottom picture) as she grows ?
If yes, what are the factors affecting the marbling?
Thanks

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
UV plays a major role ....as well as the older Keratin layers that naturally darken....(with out going into detail)
You have a beautiful tortoise ....

MoonRX

Indonesia
So if i raise her indoor there is a chance her marbling can spread wider and whiter again?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
So if i raise her indoor there is a chance her marbling can spread wider and whiter again?
No .....and outdoors is the only way to go .;)
Most fish, reptiles and amphibians undergo a limited physiological color change in response to a change in environment. This type of camouflage, known as background adaptation, most commonly appears as a slight darkening or lightening of skin tone to approximately
mimic the hue of the immediate environment. It has been demonstrated that the background adaptation process is vision-dependent (it appears the animal needs to be able to see the environment to adapt to it) and that melanin translocation in melanophores is the major factor in color change.
Chromatophores are
pigment-containing and light-reflecting organelles in cells found in a wide range of animals including amphibians, fish, reptiles, crustaceans, cephalopods, and bacteria. Mammals and birds, in contrast, have a class of cells called melanocytes for coloration.

Fox, DL. Animal Biochromes and Structural Colors: Physical, Chemical, Distributional & Physiological Features of Colored Bodies in the Animal World. University of California Press, Berkeley, 1976
Logan, DW, Bryson-Richardson, RJ, Pagán, KE, Taylor, MS, Currie, PD, Jackson, IJ (2003). "The structure and evolution of the melanocortin and MCH receptors in fish and mammals". Genomics 81 184–91.
Bagnara JT. Comparative Anatomy and Physiology of Pigment Cells in Non-mammalian Tissues. In: The Pigmentary System: Physiology and Pathophysiology,
Oxford University Press, 1998
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Chromatophore?qsrc=3044&lang=en

MoonRX

Indonesia
So the brighter the environment (outdoor) the more likely the white marbling will reappear?
Thank you so much for the information and the references...
This help me a lot.. :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
No .....and outdoors is the only way to go .;)
Most fish, reptiles and amphibians undergo a limited physiological color change in response to a change in environment. This type of camouflage, known as background adaptation, most commonly appears as a slight darkening or lightening of skin tone to approximately
mimic the hue of the immediate environment. It has been demonstrated that the background adaptation process is vision-dependent (it appears the animal needs to be able to see the environment to adapt to it) and that melanin translocation in melanophores is the major factor in color change.
Chromatophores are
pigment-containing and light-reflecting organelles in cells found in a wide range of animals including amphibians, fish, reptiles, crustaceans, cephalopods, and bacteria. Mammals and birds, in contrast, have a class of cells called melanocytes for coloration.

Fox, DL. Animal Biochromes and Structural Colors: Physical, Chemical, Distributional & Physiological Features of Colored Bodies in the Animal World. University of California Press, Berkeley, 1976
Logan, DW, Bryson-Richardson, RJ, Pagán, KE, Taylor, MS, Currie, PD, Jackson, IJ (2003). "The structure and evolution of the melanocortin and MCH receptors in fish and mammals". Genomics 81 184–91.
Bagnara JT. Comparative Anatomy and Physiology of Pigment Cells in Non-mammalian Tissues. In: The Pigmentary System: Physiology and Pathophysiology,
Oxford University Press, 1998
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Chromatophore?qsrc=3044&lang=en
Interesting JD and thanks.
Although that link is just showing a man looking under his sofa cushions for me. Lol.

Do you have any marbled cherries that have a full dark plastron?