Marking water turtles

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsboro, NC
Can anyone recommend a paint to mark water turtles with? I have always used paint pens, posco etc but with aquatics my the markings are just not lasting at all.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
No paint! The pros up in Nova Scotia cut very small wedges from the rear , to the side of the exact center. Very small....ie: 1/8th inch in depth. Saw a documentary they made on YouTube....source.

I kept multiple 50 gallon tanks full of water turtles for decades and never had a problem telling them apart. but that was up close in tanks so it might be a lot more difficult in a pond.

Wait for some of the local talent to chime in....they know better than i.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I always thought nail polish was the gold standard but I have no idea how it holds up on aquatic turtles

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The issue with aquatics is that most all of them shed. Any markings will be shed off when they do. The only more permanent option I've seen work is either notching marginals (Which I don't like and don't do) or put in one of the smaller PIT tags. If they are rare and you are tracking bloodlines, would be worth it to learn that.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
The issue with aquatics is that most all of them shed. Any markings will be shed off when they do. The only more permanent option I've seen work is either notching marginals (Which I don't like and don't do) or put in one of the smaller PIT tags. If they are rare and you are tracking bloodlines, would be worth it to learn that.
I've tagged mammals and snakes but not turtles. Seems like a good solution

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Depends. Only some aquatic turtles shed scutes, but it includes all the new world sliders, map turtles, terrapins. Most other aquatic turtle families don't shed.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Nail polish mark on a 3 year old russian. I got him as a baby from CarolS

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpeg
    IMG_2291.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 2