marks on plastron on baby hermanns tortoise

kimbverly

Location (City and/or State)
UT
hi everyone i have noticed these white, dry looking spots on the bottom of my tortoise. he is around a month old. his plastron feels firm and healthy but i just wanted to know if these little patches are indicative of health or are just a natural part of his plastron. does anyone know if these patches mean anything?

Attachments

• IMG_8876.jpeg
    IMG_8876.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8875.jpeg
    IMG_8875.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

kimbverly

UT
i realized i was a bit vague about what patched i meant so here i circled them:IMG_8876.jpeg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It’s a little difficult to say from the photos, but let me tag @Tom @wellington abd @Yvonne G to see what they think🙂

Whilst you’re here, don’t suppose you’d mind sharing how you’re keeping them? It’s nice to see with new members😊

What are your temps like? Ie basking spot(directly under the bulb) overall day temps, nights temps?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using? Packaging pics are handy
Do you use indoor uv? If so what kind?
How’s your humidity reading? What do you use for substrate?

A pic of your full set up would be wonderful if you’re ok sharing🐢💚

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hard for me to tell. What you could do, is put some athletes foot cream on it daily after it's wiped off in the soak from the day before. Then kinda run it in let dry a little before placing back in enclosure. Do this for a week. If no improvement then stop. If it starts to go away then continue for a week after all cleared up. Also be sure is hopefully a closed chamber, top layer of substrate is dry, while dampening the bottom layer.

kimbverly

UT
Hard for me to tell. What you could do, is put some athletes foot cream on it daily after it's wiped off in the soak from the day before. Then kinda run it in let dry a little before placing back in enclosure. Do this for a week. If no improvement then stop. If it starts to go away then continue for a week after all cleared up. Also be sure is hopefully a closed chamber, top layer of substrate is dry, while dampening the bottom layer.
thanks, is there a particular brand you reccomend for the cream? also thanks for the tip on keeping the top of the substrate dry, i try and mist the enclosure often but i realize it may just be better too maintain the humidity by wetting and mixing the substrate again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
thanks, is there a particular brand you reccomend for the cream? also thanks for the tip on keeping the top of the substrate dry, i try and mist the enclosure often but i realize it may just be better too maintain the humidity by wetting and mixing the substrate again.
He should be in a closed chamber enclosure. If you do that, you can wet the bottom by pouring warm water in the corners, carefully so not to over do it. Then the humidity stays up for a week or so before more water needs to be added. Misting really won't keep humidity up long enough as it will dry up quickly.

kimbverly

UT
It’s a little difficult to say from the photos, but let me tag @Tom @wellington abd @Yvonne G to see what they think🙂

Whilst you’re here, don’t suppose you’d mind sharing how you’re keeping them? It’s nice to see with new members😊

What are your temps like? Ie basking spot(directly under the bulb) overall day temps, nights temps?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using? Packaging pics are handy
Do you use indoor uv? If so what kind?
How’s your humidity reading? What do you use for substrate?

A pic of your full set up would be wonderful if you’re ok sharing🐢💚
yes of course! i’ll share a bit about my enclosure. i made a post about it last week so i’ll copy and paste what i wrote there here:

Sterilite container 31.5"L x 20"W x 14 3/8"H
Substrate is a mixture of coconut coir and reptibark. Substrate is filled to around 1 and a half inches tall.
I drilled four holes on the top of the front and back walls for breathability.
50 watt basking bulb from ZooMed and 10.0 uvb bulb
Using Accurite hygrometer and ZooMed ReptiTemp digital Infrared thermometer to measure spot under basking light and cooler side.
Plastic bucket cut with an entrance for humid hide

now, i am planning to replace the 50 watt basking bulb from zoomed to an incandescent floodlight basking bulb. i am also looking to replace my uvb source with a flourescent tube. i also ordered a thermostat that will control the CHE bulb i purchased and am planning on installing soon.

i was struggling a bit with keeping the temperature up so i moved the enclosure to my living room since my bedroom was too cold (temporary solution until i install the CHE)

ambient temp lingers around 80 degrees fahrenheit in the day with the lights on. at night, it lingers at around 70 degrees, doesn’t drop below 68. just measured the warm side and it is 92 while the cooler side is 80 degrees :)

kimbverly

UT
yes of course! i’ll share a bit about my enclosure. i made a post about it last week so i’ll copy and paste what i wrote there here:

Sterilite container 31.5"L x 20"W x 14 3/8"H
Substrate is a mixture of coconut coir and reptibark. Substrate is filled to around 1 and a half inches tall.
I drilled four holes on the top of the front and back walls for breathability.
50 watt basking bulb from ZooMed and 10.0 uvb bulb
Using Accurite hygrometer and ZooMed ReptiTemp digital Infrared thermometer to measure spot under basking light and cooler side.
Plastic bucket cut with an entrance for humid hide

now, i am planning to replace the 50 watt basking bulb from zoomed to an incandescent floodlight basking bulb. i am also looking to replace my uvb source with a flourescent tube. i also ordered a thermostat that will control the CHE bulb i purchased and am planning on installing soon.

i was struggling a bit with keeping the temperature up so i moved the enclosure to my living room since my bedroom was too cold (temporary solution until i install the CHE)

ambient temp lingers around 80 degrees fahrenheit in the day with the lights on. at night, it lingers at around 70 degrees, doesn’t drop below 68. just measured the warm side and it is 92 while the cooler side is 80 degrees :)
IMG_8877.jpeg
here is a picture!

kimbverly

UT
He should be in a closed chamber enclosure. If you do that, you can wet the bottom by pouring warm water in the corners, carefully so not to over do it. Then the humidity stays up for a week or so before more water needs to be added. Misting really won't keep humidity up long enough as it will dry up quickly.
ok thank you! i’ll try doing that