Master and Commander

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Just fantastic. Love them. I didn't know there were so many breeding in FL. Seems to be a well kept secret. Lucky for us you have spilled the beans, so to speak.

Looking forward to watching them grow and prosper.

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Florida
Just fantastic. Love them. I didn't know there were so many breeding in FL. Seems to be a well kept secret. Lucky for us you have spilled the beans, so to speak.

Looking forward to watching them grow and prosper.
From the same person selling them on either fauna or kingsnake? They are too cute. I recognize the green dot.:D

Commander is an offspring from Wayne Hill's herd (TTPG) and Master with the green dot is an offspring from Jason Abels's Herd ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Commander is an offspring from Wayne Hill's herd (TTPG) and Master with the green dot is an offspring from Jason Abels's Herd ;)

Well that makes a total of five people currently getting babies around the country that I know of. That is fantastic because three years ago I knew of none. Someday, I will get some...

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Florida
Davy Jone's Locker (Master and Commander's grazing pen).

The foundation was started by setting 8' by 4' lengths of 4x4 into the ground with a post hole digger.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416182711.479623.jpg

The 4x4s are pre drilled for 1/2" rebar to stake them down as reinforcement.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416182797.895028.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416182960.595268.jpg

8 foot and 4 foot lengths of 2x10's were screwed together and then reinforced down to the 4x4 foundation with angle irons.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416182997.194962.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416183025.644803.jpg

2x4's were used for the lids with the help of deck angle irons as reinforcements. The lids were attached with hinges and locking clasps. 1/2" 19 gauge hardware cloth was used to screen the lids.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416183226.328146.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416183307.478352.jpg

Although this is not the most aesthetically pleasing pen, it serves great utility providing security from predators on ready to graze pasture.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416183587.895038.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is so interesting to me that Galops show a mottling on the carapace when actively growing as youngsters, yet when full grown, there is no mottling.

Your babies are beautiful. I hope you keep us in the loop as they grow.

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Florida
It is so interesting to me that Galops show a mottling on the carapace when actively growing as youngsters, yet when full grown, there is no mottling.

Your babies are beautiful. I hope you keep us in the loop as they grow.

Thanks Yvonne! Yes it is quite interesting the changes in the carapace of the juveniles. Master hatched jet black, yet now has that bull's eye pattern of Commander beginning to appear on a couple scutes, as if melanin shifts to the edges of the growth lines, where as you've noticed the mottling occurs.

I continue to be fascinated by these guys ... they've given me reason to wake up early on weekend mornings in anticipation of observing them!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the updated photos. Looking forward to many more.