Maximum antibiotics course

markouki

Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone would know what’s the maximum course of antibiotics you’d give to a juvenile Greek tort for URI.

So far, my tort got 19 doses of Ceflazidime 1 mg (once a day), thank god she has improved a lot but that only started to happen on day 10. The vet thinks she should be given a course of 21 injections.

My other tort who is in the same enclosure was given 8 doses every 36 hours. (He wasn’t as sick as the other one)

How can we be sure that the URI has been successfully treated in both?

Any thoughts? @zovick
Thank you all

zovick

10 Year Member!
The exotics vets I know I know give it once every third day (once every 72 hours) or once every other day (once every 48 hours) for a more severe infection.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
been a few years since anyone here been sick , last antibiotic i used was ceftazidime , i've used it a few times , it was alway every 72hrs might have been 48hrs but i'm pretty sure it was every 72hrs , definitely not everyday ........ as far as 19 days and not getting any better before day 10 , and still having symptoms on day 19 , i doubt the antibiotic had much to do with them getting better , other than possibly preventing or curing a secondary bacterial infection that was sensitive to the ceftazidime......... personally after no improvement in a week , i'd have wanted to change antibiotics .......

markouki

Hamilton
been a few years since anyone here been sick , last antibiotic i used was ceftazidime , i've used it a few times , it was alway every 72hrs might have been 48hrs but i'm pretty sure it was every 72hrs , definitely not everyday ........ as far as 19 days and not getting any better before day 10 , and still having symptoms on day 19 , i doubt the antibiotic had much to do with them getting better , other than possibly preventing or curing a secondary bacterial infection that was sensitive to the ceftazidime......... personally after no improvement in a week , i'd have wanted to change antibiotics .......
Thank you

markouki

Hamilton
The exotics vets I know I know give it once every third day (once every 72 hours) or once every other day (once every 48 hours) for a more severe infection.
Thank you zovick
So no more antibiotics if I’m seeing improvement? She has been symptoms free for more than 3 days now.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you zovick
So no more antibiotics if I’m seeing improvement? She has been symptoms free for more than 3 days now.
From what I am able to tell from your posts, the tortoise has been on the antibiotic for 19 days and your vet would like to give it two more doses to make 21 days of treatment in all. Since the tortoise has only been symptom free for 3 days, I would say to go ahead and get the last two doses to make sure the infection is cured and make the vet happy. Then you can say you followed his/her instructions if anything goes wrong.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone would know what’s the maximum course of antibiotics you’d give to a juvenile Greek tort for URI.

So far, my tort got 19 doses of Ceflazidime 1 mg (once a day), thank god she has improved a lot but that only started to happen on day 10. The vet thinks she should be given a course of 21 injections.

My other tort who is in the same enclosure was given 8 doses every 36 hours. (He wasn’t as sick as the other one)

How can we be sure that the URI has been successfully treated in both?

Any thoughts? @zovick
Thank you all
You've already been given good advice from experienced keepers on the meds, but what I have not seen addressed, and what vets almost never address is the CAUSE of the sickness. Did you figure out why your tort got sick in the first place and correct that problem? It is usually cold damp night temps, but chronic stress can also be an immune suppressor. It will do you no good to treat the symptoms if you do not also correct the cause of the problem.

markouki

Hamilton
From what I am able to tell from your posts, the tortoise has been on the antibiotic for 19 days and your vet would like to give it two more doses to make 21 days of treatment in all. Since the tortoise has only been symptom free for 3 days, I would say to go ahead and get the last two doses to make sure the infection is cured and make the vet happy. Then you can say you followed his/her instructions if anything goes wrong.
Thank you