mazuri or grassland for greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
I am looking to supplement my 8 month old greeks diet with either Mazuri or grassland tortoise food. I was wondering which one my fellow greek owners recommend.

Whinhill

5 Year Member
Maine
My 4 looked at the grassland and thought cardboard would be more interesting. Not tried them on mazuri yet (they are in hibernation now and I'm only a recent convert to mazuri)

moswen

5 Year Member
tula will absolutely not eat grassland. i origionally had bought grassland from a pet store and stupidly thought that it was mazuri. but, now that i order from cory and i'm sure i know that it is mazuri, i think tula might rate mazuri as a very close second to a scoop of canned pumpkin plopped onto a hibiscus flower.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
So I have mazuri on order. I was thinking of offering it a couple times a week. Is this ok? What do you think?

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
my hermann's eat grassland, they love it.
I haven't tried Mazuri, because 15% protein seems to high.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
cueboy007 said:
my hermann's eat grassland, they love it.
I haven't tried Mazuri, because 15% protein seems to high.

Yes, the protein amount was a concern for me as well. I am only planning on giving small amounts of the food, mainly as a supplement.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Mazuri would be the best. Personally it's low in protein and more appealing to torts than the grassland mix.

You can take some Mazuri, mix in some dandelions/plantago weed, a bit of leafy greens, a small flower or two, and dust it with some calcium carbonate. Tortoises LOVE this mix.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I use both for my redfoot and I think you might get more of a reaction out ofyour tort with mazuri. Mine will chase me when it smells mazuri in my hands. Grassland is also great. Less enjoyable to them, but ingredients seem to be more wholesome. Get both!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Some torts will eat one, but not the other! Mash them together to get the maximum benefits of each! I would recommend moistening them even if they can manage dry pellets...it's easier on the digestive system and just keeps them that much more hydrated!

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
It has been very difficult to find Mazuri, I have to get it shipped in from another province. Grassland has not been any easier. What a pain! Hopefully my tort likes Mazuri, because it hasn't been easy to get!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Snapper said:
It has been very difficult to find Mazuri, I have to get it shipped in from another province. Grassland has not been any easier. What a pain! Hopefully my tort likes Mazuri, because it hasn't been easy to get!

There are great resources here and on ebay alike! You don't always have to rely on the most conventional sources.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
DeanS said:
Snapper said:

There are great resources here and on ebay alike! You don't always have to rely on the most conventional sources.

I have looked into other sources, and the shipping cost for one bag of mazuri is ridiculous; I had to really hunt to find a supplier in Canada to avoid that.

kelarned

5 Year Member
California
I am currently using both products. My leos dont really love the grassland like they do the Mazuri, but I have figured out how to get them to eat it. Not necessarily cause I think it is better, but because I paid for the grassland and do not want to throw it away.

I put the grassland pellets in a blender and chop it up to a fine dust. Kind of the consistency of the CA powder.

I sprinkle this on their greens 2-3 times a week and they end up getting it that way. they eat all their greens and there is not too much of the grassland left.

Hopefully this helps a little.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
kelarned said:
I am currently using both products. My leos dont really love the grassland like they do the Mazuri, but I have figured out how to get them to eat it. Not necessarily cause I think it is better, but because I paid for the grassland and do not want to throw it away.

I put the grassland pellets in a blender and chop it up to a fine dust. Kind of the consistency of the CA powder.

I sprinkle this on their greens 2-3 times a week and they end up getting it that way. they eat all their greens and there is not too much of the grassland left.

Hopefully this helps a little.

I will have to try that I have the same problem Thanks for the tip hope it work's for me

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
All 4 of mine wouldn't touch either grassland or mazuri at first. They all looked at it and looked at me like I'm stupid :(. I had to trick them into eating it, by either mixing it into a chopped cactus or greens. Almost as a salad dressing. Took about two months for them to finally understand it's edible and now they will eat it. But I still use it as a supplement for them rather than their main food. Mine also adjusted to the grassland one faster... the mazuri they absolutely refused it for the longest time...

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I finally tried mazuri with my tort, and man, did he love it! He couldn't eat enough. He won't be happy he only gets it 2 times a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.